General > Developers

Market Research

(1/3) > >>

davegravy:
If anyone's interested in tailoring their dev efforts to match what consumers want, here's a potentially useful poll, albeit a disappointing sample size (N=38):

http://robohub.org/smart-homes-my-home-my-comfort-say-readers/

Marie.O:
I am always laughing when I see people wanting to control the temperature in a room. This must be something from a different country, or mind set.

In my mindset, I set the temperature for a room once, I might modify it empirical over time, but never ever do I change the temperature in a room daily or on a time schedule. Way more expensive to reheat a room, than to keep a room at a specific temperature. Maybe other countries/homes are different, but that is the scientific consensus in Germany.

davegravy:
I agree Posde, but one thing that's high on my (SWMBO's) wishlist in my home is the ability to have multiple thermal sensors around the house and automate-able, retrofit-able dampers such that there is a more even distribution of thermal energy.

I've played around with manual dampers to no end, and it's a very difficult (moving) target.

Esperanto:

--- Quote from: posde on November 05, 2014, 06:28:11 pm ---In my mindset, I set the temperature for a room once, I might modify it empirical over time, but never ever do I change the temperature in a room daily or on a time schedule. Way more expensive to reheat a room, than to keep a room at a specific temperature. Maybe other countries/homes are different, but that is the scientific consensus in Germany.

--- End quote ---

If that is the case we still have along way to go. I never heard about that yet. Here in the Netherlands the temperature is not set to a constant but also not totally to 0 at night. I always thought that it was cheaper to lower the temp a bit but not to much. But as u say the experts know best. Plain logic I think that the bigger the temp difference the bigger the loss and it also depends on the amount of isolation your room has.

totallymaxed:

--- Quote from: davegravy on November 05, 2014, 11:00:47 pm ---I agree Posde, but one thing that's high on my (SWMBO's) wishlist in my home is the ability to have multiple thermal sensors around the house and automate-able, retrofit-able dampers such that there is a more even distribution of thermal energy.

I've played around with manual dampers to no end, and it's a very difficult (moving) target.

--- End quote ---

We see a lot of demand from our installers for improved control of zones around a home. So I agree 100% with you that zoned balancing of thermal energy is one of the next big growth areas. Aligned with this is the ability to learn the patterns of usage of spaces in a home over time (this is really largely where Nest is coming from) so that optimal energy input based on use patterns is achieved.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Sitemap 
Go to full version