Author Topic: Audio track and Subtitle support  (Read 3366 times)

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Audio track and Subtitle support
« on: September 20, 2014, 12:36:15 am »
Hey all!

I wanted to give a heads up about some additions I've made recently.  The existing code has long permitted the selection of audio tracks and subtitles for non-disc playback.  We have had no place in the user interface to make selections so far.  For me this has been frustrating, I really enjoy 'foreign' or 'subtitled' movies.  To that end I have added buttons to UI1 that allow the cycling of the audio tracks or subtitle tracks that exist in a playing media file.  They are hidden away on the UI1 'Zoom & Aspect' menu.

There is no feedback on the UI for the currently selected tracks, nor for any listing of available tracks.  I hope to provide this functionality at some point but there is a lot that goes into making that happen in the old Orbiter UI.  So for now, you can change audio tracks and subtitle tracks in playing media files.

I would also like to point out that this functionality works within both Xine_Player AND (on regular MDs) and in OMX_Player (on Raspberry Pi MDs).

Like I said, I hope to extend this to make it more user friendly.  For now the capability is there for those that have been requiring or missing it.  :)

This is available for 1204 (precise) ubuntu and on raspbian (wheezy).  apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade then reload your router to get the functionality.

J.

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
Re: Audio track and Subtitle support
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 12:12:24 pm »
Just saw this. Again, very exciting. Thank you.

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 03:47:26 pm »
:)  Keep in mind that there is no feedback at the moment.  I am learning about orbiter to figure out how to get text displaying.  It is going to require some additional glue to send subtitle/audio track changed events and then to listen for them and match them to appropriate orbiters to display.  It won't be quick but it'll come.

J.

WhateverFits

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Sean Walker
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 09:05:17 am »
Any updates? I have a bunch of movies with several audio tracks and it is rather difficult to watch a movie with the directors narration for the whole audio. I can't seem to figure out how to change audio and subtitle tracks.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 09:12:38 am »
iirc the stuff is online and working. Make sure to fully rebuild your Orbiters.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 06:53:14 pm »
The buttons are available on UI1.  As posde says you will need to do a "Full Regen" of the orbiters to get the buttons to show.  Prior to that you need to apt-get upgrade your core, or sqlcvs update all the db repos.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.  The long-term plan is to fill a datagrid to make the selections easier to perform, and inherently have feedback.

J.