Author Topic: Where is the desktop.  (Read 4506 times)

Vizeo

• View Profile
Where is the desktop.
« on: April 02, 2007, 01:17:42 am »
I installed LMCE as the default on boot. But I need to get back into the desktop. When installing the installer said that I could load it when I needed to but I can't find any reference on how to do it. I am sure it is simple but I am a windows guy trying to learn linux.

thynk

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the desktop.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 02:04:41 am »
I think I saw something in the docs that you can do a ctrl-alt-f2 to open a text console, type the command startx and that should bring up the ubuntu desktop.  Once both are running, you should be able to switch between the Desktop (ctrl-alt-f7) and the LMCE desktop (ctrl-alt-f11).

Stu

Thingie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 11:15:25 am »
I think I saw something in the docs that you can do a ctrl-alt-f2 to open a text console, type the command startx and that should bring up the ubuntu desktop.  Once both are running, you should be able to switch between the Desktop (ctrl-alt-f7) and the LMCE desktop (ctrl-alt-f11).

Stu

I also have a dedicated core but would like to access the KDE-desktop. I tried ctrl-alt-f2, entered username and pw and tried the startx command. It sais it's allready running. Then I entered crl-alt f7 and all I get is a blinking cursor where I can't enter any commands. Does nobody at all uses the system this way? There are a few topics on the forum about this issue but nowhere there is a correct answer. If you know how pls let us know.

Thx

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 01:14:18 pm »
I installed LMCE as the default on boot. But I need to get back into the desktop. When installing the installer said that I could load it when I needed to but I can't find any reference on how to do it. I am sure it is simple but I am a windows guy trying to learn linux.

There is a button on the Otbiter - KDE Desktop. Just press it and you'll able to access KDE desktop.
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

Thingie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 01:45:41 pm »

There is a button on the Otbiter - KDE Desktop. Just press it and you'll able to access KDE desktop.

If you're running a dedicated core there is no button

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 03:47:25 pm »

In that case I reckon there is no orbiter either.  Maybe this can help a bit: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Clean_Core it has a number of alternate boot options, what could be done is to start KDE, have it login automaticly and start the launch manager on startup.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LinuxMCE 08.10 RC Mirror.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 03:56:37 pm »
When you say a dedicated core do you mean a core that is not running a media director or a core/hybrid which you can watch media on?
If it is a core/hybrid there is a button to select the kde desktop.
On UI2 goto advanced on the right hand side at the bottom and the top option is KDE desktop.

Under ui1 I clik on "more" at the bottom of the screen and then "advanced options" and it should be there.

Hope this helps

Regards

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 11:00:49 am »

In that case you don't have GUI at all. I don't know if LMCE offers such possibility (Plutohome did). As I know you can configure LMCE to start first and then go to KDE desktop using the button on the Orbiter. Or you can start KDE first and then run LMCE manually. If you can see the Orbiter on you core this means that it definitely not dedicated. In case of dedicated core you should see text console with description similar to this:
"DCE router is running. Please, use CTRL+F2 to login in console"
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru