General > Users

NAS - FreeNAS, LMCE or something else?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Esperanto:
I have http://www.nas4free.org/ running with Raid Z2 and sporadically run a rsync to a drive I plug into the nas and then move to a remote location. I already had multiple drives failing (twice 2 simultaneously) therefor I am happy with a Z2 solution although resilvering takes a long time.

purps:
I've clearly not understood how RAID works. If you accidentally wipe or corrupt the source, will that not also happen to the copy? Why do you need both RAID and rsync?

I have often thought about a separate server for torrents/security camera/NAS etc, but I haven't really had the need yet, the core does it all!

FWIW I like the separate D-link NAS drives, and I believe they are quite hackable i.e. custom OSs and what not, should anyone want to go down that route.

Cheers,
Matt.

Esperanto:
RAID just spreads the content over multiple drives in such a way that if one drive (raid-z1) or two drives (raid-z2) fails it can still server the original content like nothing happened. Since it functions like a normal drive if you delete the contents it is gone. It is more a redundancy solution (more uptime) then a backup solution. It makes sure the service keeps running if something fails. You still prefer to have a backup though for cases like accidentally fucking up your data yourself, your house that burns down or somebody who has the insight he has a better use for your hardware....

Marie.O:
What esperegu said. RAID is for keeping things running in case of hardware failure, rsync is for keeping you alife after you accidentily deleted all those once in a lifetime shots your wife took of you and your kids.

purps:
OK that's good to know thanks guys. And I'm beginning to see the SWMBO theme here as well :-)

Cheers,
Matt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Sitemap 
Go to full version