Author Topic: NAS Detection/UpdateMedia  (Read 7631 times)

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: NAS Detection/UpdateMedia
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 03:32:07 am »
Hi,

Does webadmin show anything under device tree?

Even partially?

I understand it's not detected, so nothing should be there, but... weird.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 03:34:42 am by pigdog »

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 04:14:00 pm »
There is nothing showing in the devicetree. Perhaps I should check in irc.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 02:20:14 am »
Hi,

I saw this part of a review on CNET...

The server comes with a discovery software utility, making setting up the BlackArmor a simple task. Once set up, the utility assists in finding the NAS server on the network and allows you to map network drives to its two default share folders, "public" and "download." Fortunately, no software is needed to access the NAS, as it fully supports the SMB protocol and can be easily found using Windows Explorer.

Can you easily find the NAS via Windows Explorer?

Then can you easily find the NAS under that Windows "other networks or network neighbourhood" or under my computer whatever?

If you can see it as part of the network neighbourhood the I don't understand why LMCE couldn't see it.

There should not be any other parameters that would be needed in 10.04 global section. 

Unless, there is one different thing you might need for connecting to a Windows OS box.  All the other necessary fields are in the global section.

I can't remember off the top off my head...

I'll look through my notes.

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:29:56 am by pigdog »

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 12:11:03 pm »
Like I said,I don't know either. I can access the damned thing from Windows, only lmce doesn't care about it. Some of the other devices I unblocked showed up again, but not the nasbox. I would invite you over, so you could see it with your own eyes, but I guess that would be quite a stretch :-)

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 03:30:26 pm »
Hi,

My D-link NAS is based on a condensed version of Debian, so it's linux to linux.

I was wondering if the 220 was maybe some kinda embedded Windows variant.

So I tried this.

I run two networks in the house - one for the family and their Windows machines and one for LMCE.

I reconfigured the network to include the family side ( just switching a BIX block RJ45 x-connect to the LMCE switching hub).

I powered up my wife's XP box.

No changes to existing smb.conf, her PC has Windows shares and is in the LINUXMCE workgroup.

Took 3-5 minutes but the PC hard drive was detected as a File Server.

On her PC My Network Places>Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network>Linuxmce>Dcerouter was displayed.

I tried to log into dcerouter but couldn't connect but I don't really care @ this point because I just wanted to be seen form the LMCE side.

On 12.04 to talk to a WIN7 box in the smb.conf global section you need...

follow symlinks = yes

Cheers.

p.s.  If you are somewhere around the St. Lawrence valley area in Ontario, Canada a roadtrip would be possible - a cold, frosty milk would be nice ;)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 03:35:30 pm by pigdog »

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 03:53:08 pm »
Thanks for your input. Perhaps I will just wait until 12.04 or 14.04 has become stable and will try it again then.
If you ever make it to Germany, be sure to ring me up....frosty milk, or cold beer...your choice