General > Developers

O2 Joggler As full MD - Testing needed

<< < (3/3)

garagevibes:
Just to give you all an update I have finally got xine working fine on the joggler it's pretty amazing at least I think so :) I'll put a video up soon, I have now started to toy with tv, myth is to big to fit on the internal mmc, I was going to remove the squeezeplay os parts to make some space but there are a few bits that I might borrow first like the screen dimming which works really well as does AirPlay (I never seem to be able to get the Lmce one to work) so I need to create a small script to launch these items on boot & then remove the bits left from the squeezeplay os.

I'm therefore starting to look at VDR instead of myth but struggling a little, I also need a way to make an image if the jogglers mmc so I can distribute it ideally with a small setup script for others to use.

I use JavaScript, php & HTML at work though & this is my first attempt at bash so any pointers along the way would be great fully received.

Thanks again all for your help so far.

Marie.O:
Instead of struggling with the size of the internal storage, why not use a really small usbstick? We've been using a tiny usb stick for quite some time now. You don't really notice it, as it sticks out only 1-2mm

garagevibes:
Hi,

Just to update you all,

I have made some progress with PXE booting the joggler. I found a program to reflashing the blank EEPROM of the jogglers network card and have now set a real mac address.

I will give further detail for you all to follow shortly but I can now using the instructions already posted for adding a bios and using an iPXE image to boot get to the announcing ourselves to the router, creating the media director and then boot the initial Kernel and then the full media director kernel that starts loading the beginnings of LinuxMCE.

However I then halt on errors regarding the gma500 having no valid LVDS backlight data, I believe this is to do with the intel graphics driver, there are also a number of patches available for the joggler to solve other issues such as this but for a different kernel version but as Ubuntu 12.04 is already available as an image to download these are freely available but I cant boot enough to install a different kernel or any of the patches, as soon as ssh comes up the error above halts the system in a few seconds after.

Is there a setting I can add to the boot line that will take me to just a very basic recovery console so I may install patches and graphics drivers?

Many thanks as always   

coley:
Can you make the edits you require on the diskless image of your joggler MD on the core using chroot?

/usr/pluto/diskless/<NN> where NN is the device id of your joggler MD.

-Coley.

garagevibes:
Thanks Coley,

Sorry for the delays Ive just recently had a baby so thats taken most of my time at the moment.

I have tried to do it under chroot but I end up with a few errors as I need to download the kernel source patch it and then compile it and finally install it but it doesn't seem like it likes compiling over a chroot environment, I dont really know where next to go I would be so grateful if someone with more Linux knowledge could help, So if you have a joggler that you wouldn't mind sparing and fancy a challenge the guide to getting to where I am now is as so:

1 - Download the Joggler reflashing tool and updated openpeak firmware from this site:
http://birdslikewires.co.uk
2 - Follow instructions on the site to install the updated openpeak firmware.
3 - After doing this you are left with a Joggler that is up to date and that you can easily SSH to.
4 - Download the following rom files from here http://www.tardistracker.com/roms.zip  unzip and add to a newly formated FAT32 usb stick, there are 2 folders in this zip file one is a backup of the normal EFI boot rom the other is the new coreboot rom, copy the .rom file out of the coreboot folder and place on the root of the usb stick.
5 - Now place the usb stick into the Joggler and reboot.
6 - Check the DHCP address on the Joggler and SSH to the Joggler; username is joggler and password is joggler
7 - Now issue the following commands:

# cd /mnt
This will enter the USB stick
# ls
This will list the files on the stick and should show this:
 coreboot.rom
Now the next two lines will flash the boot rom:
# modprobe fh
# dd if=/mnt/coreboot.rom of=/dev/fh count=1 bs=1024k
Now finally reboot:
# reboot

after reboot you should now see a different boot splash with an icon of a shark, this is now your bios.

8. now we need to flash our EEPROM so we need a tool to do that and we need DOS to run it so first download a usb bootable freedos imaged from here: http://ftp.chtaube.eu/pub/FreeDOS/bootable-usb/FreeDOS-1.1-memstick-2-256M.img.bz2 and thne download the realtek EEPROM flash tool from here: http://www.biosrepair.com/bios/PG8168.rar.

9. now dd over the dos image to a memory stick (must be at least 256mb).

10. now mount your memory stick and extract the EEprom programing tool to the stick so you can access it once freedos is booted on the joggler.

11. browse to the extracted EEprom programming tool directory on the memory stick and find 3 .cfg files named like this "8168.CFG" each one is for a different version of the  network card to be safe I edited all of them so open each one in a text editor and then at the top of the file find the line "node id=" and edit this to whatever mac address you want, I would recommend just offsetting the last few digits and then save each amended .cfg file.

12. now attach a small usb hub to the usb port of your joggler and attached a keyboard and the memory stick you have just been using and apply power.

13. follow the options on screen to boot yourself in to freeDOS and browse to the EEprom programming tool folder.

14. now type the following and press enter to flash "PG8169 / W".

15. now type PG8169 / R to read the network card and check all is written correctly.

16. now power down the joggler.

17 - Go to www.rom-o-matic.com and create a usb based PXE image and flash to a usb stick.
18 - Place usb stick into the joggler and connect a network cable between the joggler and your internal LMCE network.
19 - power on the joggler and you should boot in to iPXE which will configure the network card and then TFTP from the core using your new mac address.

20. that should be it you should shortly see the announced ourselves to the router messaged and the Media Director should start to be created, once done your get a message saying rebooting but the joggler wont reboot just pull the power and turn it on again, you should now boot in to LMCE.

21. your now as far as me you should after a bit of loading be presented with errors relating to the graphics drivers this is where I need your help.

if you want to read more on the EEprom flashing tool use google to translate teh following site: http://www.biosrepair.com/bios/pg8168.htm.

Hope someone can follow this and possibly offer some assistance, Many thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Sitemap 
Go to full version