Author Topic: 1204 install broke my internet connection  (Read 5518 times)

Esperanto

• Guru
    • View Profile
1204 install broke my internet connection
« on: March 03, 2014, 02:18:34 pm »
I think being able to control the interfaces a bit during installation is nice (swap&test). At least the installation broke my internet and I was disconnected from the ISP and unable to recover so I got stuck without internet and thus life :-) (Linuxmce was probably sending offers over the internet which killed my internet connection). I suppose we need something that controls (and swaps) the interfaces during installation if required. During installation it said no internet (while that was plugged in since it is was the machine that was running lmce). Swapping interfaces on the network page automatically rebooted the core but the harm was already done.

Also there was no warning to remove the usb stick. (I did not remove it and then the reboot got stuck).

I also saw that the patch for 10.04 regarding the local host in the nameserver list is not implemented yet.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: 1204 install broke my internet connection
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 02:22:28 am »
Thank you for testing the 1204 alpha snapshots!

I think being able to control the interfaces a bit during installation is nice (swap&test). At least the installation broke my
internet and I was disconnected from the ISP and unable to recover so I got stuck without internet and thus life :-) (Linuxmce was probably sending offers over the internet which killed my internet connection). I suppose we need

We'll gladly accept patches to the ubiquity installer!  :)

During installation it said no internet (while that was plugged in since it is was the machine that was running lmce).

This is by design.  There is no networking during the DVD install.  The ubiquity screen is a remnant of the kubuntu installer and has no relevance during the lmce install.  The installer then arranges the interfaces the same way it did in 1004. 

Also there was no warning to remove the usb stick. (I did not remove it and then the reboot got stuck).

Please be more specific than 'got stuck'.  If you were using a current snapshot then it would automatically boot the first physical hard drive in the machine after rebooting.  But you didn't specify which snapshot you were installing from.

I also saw that the patch for 10.04 regarding the local host in the nameserver list is not implemented yet.

Please be more specific that 'the patch for 10.04'.  What patch are you referring to?

J.

Esperanto

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 09:40:33 am »
Thank you for testing the 1204 alpha snapshots!
you're welcome. but more importantly: thank you for making them ;-)
We'll gladly accept patches to the ubiquity installer!  :)
out of my league. But I can make suggestions as I am doing. Up to you to decide if they are useful enough to be implemented ;-)
This is by design.  There is no networking during the DVD install.  The ubiquity screen is a remnant of the kubuntu installer and has no relevance during the lmce install.  The installer then arranges the interfaces the same way it did in 1004. 
I am not sure if it is possible but maybe it is nice if that could be mentioned when it displays the page were it mentions no internet connection. People might wonder if something is wrong. Maybe the installer can give a choice asking which interface should be used for local and which for internet access?
Please be more specific than 'got stuck'.  If you were using a current snapshot then it would automatically boot the first physical hard drive in the machine after rebooting.  But you didn't specify which snapshot you were installing from.
I used LMCE-1204-20140302030428788.iso    02-Mar-2014
When rebooting, since the usb stick was still in it booted the usb stick and got stuck even before getting to the kde installer. (which is strange anyway cause it had just installed from it). I unplugged the stick and rebooted and it continued booting to lmce.
Please be more specific that 'the patch for 10.04'.  What patch are you referring to?
http://trac.linuxmce.org/trac/ticket/1606

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 12:40:14 am »
you're welcome. but more importantly: thank you for making them ;-)

It's what I do in the spare time I do have.

out of my league. But I can make suggestions as I am doing. Up to you to decide if they are useful enough to be implemented ;-)I am not sure if it is possible but maybe it is nice if that could be mentioned when it displays the page were it mentions no internet connection. People might wonder if something is wrong. Maybe the

If I knew how to fix that I'd do so in a heartbeat.  I know very little about ubiquity and have not had a chance to look into it.  I'm happy to accept patches  ;)  heh.

installer can give a choice asking which interface should be used for local and which for internet access?I used

You can certainly file a feature request for this, however internet and networking is NOT enabled during the install.  After the first reboot the system will do dhcp requests on eth0 first and then eth1, whichever device responds will be assigned as the external device. 

When rebooting, since the usb stick was still in it booted the usb stick and got stuck even before getting to the kde installer. (which is strange anyway cause it had just installed from it). I unplugged the stick and rebooted and it continued booting to lmce.

The DVD installer will not by default go to the live boot or to the installer.  When the DVD is inserted into the drive you will be presented with a menu that times out to the default "Boot from first hard disk".  There are some nice onscreen messages that are missing during the install, I'm working on getting them functional again.

http://trac.linuxmce.org/trac/ticket/1606

You can see my comments in the ticket.  Essentially resolv.conf is correct, 127.0.0.1 is intended to be there as bind9 provides dns services to the core and dhcp clients.  The bad data in the dhclient file we have no control over as that is the DHCP data that is provided by the ISP.  DHCP data for internal network clients is configured in the dhcp configuration files.

J.