Author Topic: Security Questions  (Read 4128 times)

Jeremiah256

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Security Questions
« on: April 01, 2007, 01:09:14 am »
This seems like the perfect product for me to geek out on over the summer, but I have some security questions:

Bluetooth - what are the security arrangements for adding bluetooth devices?  What prevents my next door neighbor from accessing my system? How are devices added?

Core Security - if the LinuxMCE Core acts as the DHCP server/firewall and is connected directly to your cable modem, how secure is it?  I mean you're potentially putting a device that monitors your security video, makes calls, has access to every computer on the LAN and controls your house hold appliances right smack next to the internet.  If a hacker owns this box, it'd be a nightmare.  They could make it seem like your house was possessed (Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice)!  I'm too paranoid to not have a router or security gateway between the LinuxMCE and the internet.

Thanks in advance.

thynk

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Security Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 03:31:22 am »
Bluetooth - I believe it asks you if you want to install a new BT device or ignore it.  Given the small compatible BT devices the remote software works with, you should be very safe with this :-)

Core Security - This is why it's a linux box and not a windows box.  I have 3 ubuntu machines on public facing IPs  and no firewall between them and the rest of the world and have never had any sort of unauthorized access to them.  compare that to the windows 2003 AS box that was compromised within 5 minutes of finishing the install.  There is nothing in the specs that I have seen that requires you to have it right up to the internet to work, so you can put a firewall, a router between it and the internet if you feel the need to. 

HTH

Stu

Jeremiah256

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 04:51:13 am »
Stu,

Thanks.  I did some further reading (RTFM) and you're right, I can keep a router between it and the cable modem as long as I assign DHCP server duties to the LinuxMCE.  You're also right that it seems Ubuntu specifically, Linux generally is magnitudes safer than a windows box.  I can't believe that it's safe enough to not need a firewall but that's what I've been able to find on the internet - Ubuntu's default installation closes all ports and doesn't need a firewall....Wow!

Again, thanks for the reply.

Jerry

gotrootdude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 05:09:23 am »
There is nothing in the specs that I have seen that requires you to have it right up to the internet to work, so you can put a firewall, a router between it and the internet if you feel the need to.

Actually, if your going to use the asterisk VOIP part for making and receiving phone calls, you'll need to configure your router/firewall (if you use one), and parts of your asterisk configurations.  You may have to get sipx ser or another proxy setup.
And it can be a real headache if your multiple nats.

I maybe able to help if you have any problems getting asterisk working right, and modifying it to your wishes..  Let me know.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 05:11:22 am by gotrootdude »

Jeremiah256

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 03:15:54 am »
gotrootdude:

Thanks...hopefully I'll start my little project in the next weekend or so...I may have to take you up on your offer :-)