Author Topic: NOISY screen after installation is finished New 12.04  (Read 4767 times)

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
NOISY screen after installation is finished New 12.04
« on: February 20, 2014, 04:06:58 pm »
Dear All,

I was trying to install LMCE 1204 on a Proliant ML350 G4P (internal VGA no nvidia), just to have it as a headless server.  Installation wizard was perfect but just after reboot y got this noisy black with some dots or vertical lines as screen.  I was unable to do anything.  Then I tried only kubuntu 1204 only that this time I realized that the same thing happened but the messy screen was during the splash, after the splash then the log in screen was present without any issues.  Does the AVWizard shares the same vid config as the splash screen?.  Can this be fixed or is there any walk around?

Regards,

T

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: NOISY screen after installation is finished New 12.04
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 07:36:52 pm »
Hi,

On my install of 12.04 when the system rebboted after the software installation - before AVWizard ran - my screen came up with lines and sat there.

Once I powered down, wait 30 seconds and powered up my install statred with the armchair penguin screen.

This part of the process takes 20 or more minutes before booting into wiz.

Hope this works for you.

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 08:08:33 pm »
Thanks Pigdog, you were right. I waited and after a couple of minutes of crazy vertical lines an bars then i got splashes of pluto software installing. The last one was the orbiter regeneration. Once it finishes i get black screen. I did crtl alt f2 to get to the console then; then crtl alt f1 to see if there was something. and there was:

ConfirmDependencies INSTALL is running
ConfirmDependencies INSTALL done
InstallNewDevice is running
ConfirmDependencies buildall is running

The console was slightly out of range for my monitor, could check which resolution or refresh was setting up but at least i was able to read from the screen.

Any hints besides getting a new video card???

Regards,

T

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 08:25:38 pm »
Hi,

Did it eventually -again waiting- boot into AVWizard which would allow you to chose resolution?

And if so what dis you choose?

Earlier you talked about headless - meaning it's not a core/hybrid you running it as monitorless.

You then need a MD to setup.

Did you try a Core/hybrid setup.?

Cheers

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 12:09:41 am »
Does the AVWizard shares the same vid config as the splash screen?.  Can this be fixed or is there any walk around?

They do not share configuration.  The splash screen is controlled by the kernel on boot.  The lmce-plymouth-theme package may be forcing the video resolution to 1024x768.  You can check /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and /etc/default/grub for possible locations this could be set.

To be honest we need some TLC on the boot splash screens as there have been updates in 1204 vs previous releases.  Many systems now use a text based splash when an appropriate framebuffer driver is not present during boot, we have not yet created a text based splash to use in these situations so everything shows the graphic splash.  This does not work with all video cards properly.

J.

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 03:02:19 am »
Hi,

Did it eventually -again waiting- boot into AVWizard which would allow you to chose resolution?

And if so what dis you choose?

Earlier you talked about headless - meaning it's not a core/hybrid you running it as monitorless.

You then need a MD to setup.

Did you try a Core/hybrid setup.?

Cheers

Hi Pigdog.  YES you are right, I first started as a headless and then changed to core hybrid setup because usign the dvd option did not detected the network cards, so I used the kubuntu way and ran the script, this way I found no way to select headless but at least I have network, which is useless anyways hahahahahaah. 
Maybe I could find a way to correct the resolution.  I'll check what phenigma mentioned and check what is setup on both files.  Keep all posted.  I know it can work, I got all the way to get kubuntu gui perfectly working, so it is just a matter of know what to fix (I have no Idea!!!)

Cheers,

T

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 02:32:13 pm »
Hi,

but at least I have network, which is useless anyways hahahahahaah.

What's up with your network?

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 12:30:38 pm »
Hi,

What's up with your network?

Dear All,

I have made many test these past days and I would like to share them all.

1.  Problem with the NOISY screen is solved by changin the grub.cfg

set gfxmode=1024x768

After this i finally got some video output and was able to follow the AVWIZARD

2. After that, I am unable to get the MD's running.  The system gives me dhcp but It wont for booting usin PXE, I have no idea why.  I ran Diskless TBZ without no errors found and nothing!

If I go to webadmin and check network settings, it says
"No record in Device_DeviceData for Network Interfaces"

Any ideas?

On one of my attempts, I found that appguard was giving me some headaches 

So since this is out of the scope of "NOISY SCREEN" I could call this post SOLVED and follow up with a new one of this issue.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 03:57:38 pm »
Hi,

There is a networking issue right now.

If you have external devices, like a NAS or MD, they will not be discovered.

There may be another snap[shot soon that resolves the issue.

Please follow some of the other posts regarding this issue.

When I got the gree/white lines I just waited and after 5 to 10 minutes I either got the grub menu again and rebooted or I got the AVWizard.  I can't remember which way it went but AVWizard does eventually appear.

Cheers

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 01:57:58 am »
I have made many test these past days and I would like to share them all.

Thanks for testing!!!

1.  Problem with the NOISY screen is solved by changin the grub.cfg
set gfxmode=1024x768
After this i finally got some video output and was able to follow the AVWIZARD

2. After that, I am unable to get the MD's running.  The system gives me dhcp but It wont for booting usin PXE, I have no idea why.  I ran Diskless TBZ without no errors found and nothing!
If I go to webadmin and check network settings, it says
"No record in Device_DeviceData for Network Interfaces"
Any ideas?

From the command line, with root privileges, execute the following three commands:
Code: [Select]
mysql pluto_main -u root -e "delete from Device_DeviceData where FK_Device=1 and FK_DeviceData in (28,32,292)"
mysql pluto_main -u root -e "update Device_DeviceData set FK_Device=1 where FK_Device=0"
. /usr/pluto/dvd-installer.sh; SetupNetworking

This *should* be fixed in the new snapshot.

On one of my attempts, I found that appguard was giving me some headaches 
So since this is out of the scope of "NOISY SCREEN" I could call this post SOLVED and follow up with a new one of this issue.

Yes, if this continues to be an issue, open another topic, drop into #linuxmce on Freenode IRC or open a ticket in trac @ svn.linuxmce.org so we can have a dialogue about any issues you are having.  :)

Thanks again for testing!

J.