Poll

What PVR are you using, or would you like to use?

I use VDR
7 (28%)
I would like to use VDR, but can't get it to work
2 (8%)
I use MythTV
12 (48%)
I would like to use MythTV, but can't get it to work
3 (12%)
I would like to use a PVR, but there is no support for my broadcasting system
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: What PVR  (Read 18627 times)

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
What PVR
« on: February 15, 2014, 07:36:58 pm »
Just doing a quick poll to figure out what PVR, if any, people are using.

Esperanto

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: What PVR
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 08:50:02 pm »
I use mythtv but it is far from stable.

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 09:18:00 pm »
I used Myth outside of LMCE and it worked very well for me. I'm now working on using Myth inside 12.04 and I'm running into a few glitches.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 08:28:49 pm by B34N »

pointman87

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 09:37:09 pm »
VDR with viasat and canal digital (sweden)

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 05:10:31 pm »
I want to use mythtv but don't consider it usable within lmce.  I long for schedulesdirect and myth scheduling... it's SO much better than my satellite providers interface and capabilities!

J.

mkbrown69

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 06:27:46 pm »
I use MythTV 0.25 on my Debian host, and 5 MiniMyth diskless systems booted on my "external" network.  I'm using Schedules direct for the listing data, and have a mixture of Analog cable and Rogers Digital STB (PVR-150's on slave backend, PVR-1600 on host) as well as Digital OTA (HDHR-3-US on it's own network segment and NIC).

That's production for now, as I work on migrating to LMCE at some point in the (hopefully) near future.

I want to use mythtv but don't consider it usable within lmce.  I long for schedulesdirect and myth scheduling... it's SO much better than my satellite providers interface and capabilities!

Phenigma,  I'm curious as to why you don't consider MythTV usable within LMCE.  Cutting over to it was going to be one of the activities I was going to work on in the next couple of months, so I'm interested in knowing what I'm in store for...  ;)

Thanks!

/Mike

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 02:11:53 am »
I use MythTV 0.25 on my Debian host, and 5 MiniMyth diskless systems booted on my "external" network.  I'm using Schedules direct for the listing data, and have a mixture of Analog cable and Rogers Digital STB (PVR-150's on slave backend, PVR-1600 on host) as well as Digital OTA (HDHR-3-US on it's own network segment and NIC).

I used to have my satellite fed directly into MythTV.  Great quality.  I don't do analog capture cards, terrible quality.  I have had no real experience with HD capture, and most of what I have read is a headache in LMCE.  I've not tried.  I would be interested in your experience with HD capture and the Digital OTA (I have an HDHR but do not currently use it).  I do not wish to hi-jack the poll thread, so we can certainly start a new thread.

Phenigma,  I'm curious as to why you don't consider MythTV usable within LMCE.  Cutting over to it was going to be one of the activities I was going to work on in the next couple of months, so I'm interested in knowing what I'm in store for...  ;)

Many reasons.  No scheduling interface.  Poor sorting/choosing for recorded TV.  I got way too used to the MythTV interface (back in 0.19-0.22), and REALLY liked it.  I would prefer to use MythTV as if it was an external box and not the, what I consider to be poorly, integrated device it is now.  I don't complain, and won't, as I have put no effort into it.  When I do, I will.  Let's take this to a new thread if you want to continue.

J.

joerod

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 11:49:08 pm »
I use mythTV on 1004 using a local cable computer "LibertyCable" connected via rca cables to a HDPVR.  Everything works great, I use the IR Blaster on the HDPVR to change the channels and schedules direct for the guide.  I have very few complaints about myth (most concerning the UI).  I had to configure everything manually, but once it was working Ive had no problems (been about 3 months).

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 10:44:42 pm »
We really need engineering help to try and get the MythTV integration back up to spec.

-Thom

thor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 06:37:00 pm »
I hadn't seen this thread before today. I use mythtv a lot with schedules direct and OTA broadcast. No cable. No satellite. The family loves the speed of fast-forwarding and the pause functionality: pausing, then going frame by frame backward and forward. Great for sports.

I had been playing with 1204 and mythtv, trying to get it to perform well enough. Once I was able to upgrade from mythtv 0.25 to 0.27 (thanks to the examples in http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=13581.msg98968#msg98968) and got it to work, I put 1204 back in as main house server controlling everything. I'm still working on each MD to work well enough with mythtv. So, right now, we record a tv show, edit it within mythtv on a desktop, then play it back on a MD using qorbiter as a remote.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 06:46:51 pm »
thor,

thanks for your words. Sounds like you and your family have fun with it.