Author Topic: FYI - No audio or Sarah on 12.04 - at least for me Feb11 & 14 builds.  (Read 7704 times)

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Hi,

I have no audio on Feb. 11/14 build plus no Sarah video.

I've looked at my ALSAMIXER stuff but nothing yet.  Will keep investigating.

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:37:32 pm by pigdog »

pigdog

• View Profile
Re: FYI - No audio or Sarah on 12.04 - at least for me.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 03:24:50 pm »
Hi,

When I got a MD to run I had audio but no Sarah video during setup.

Cheers

garagevibes

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 10:39:17 pm »
hi i have the same issue audio is fine but no video, if i play video it plays but i just get the sound, it all worked fine in 10.04, i did dvd install but had t manually install nvidia driver as auto installed one failed does anyone have any ideas? cheers

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 10:56:16 pm »
Hi,

hi i have the same issue audio is fine but no video, if i play video it plays but i just get the sound, it all worked fine in 10.04, i did dvd install but had t manually install nvidia driver as auto installed one failed does anyone have any ideas? cheers

Are you referring to AVWizard setup, playing a DVD or both AVWizard and DVD?

I haven't tried playing a DVD via the PC DVD drive.  My NAS videos are not being populated via the main menu selection.  I haven't tried any UpdateMedia testing.

Cheers.

garagevibes

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: FYI - No audio or Sarah on 12.04 - at least for me Feb11 & 14 builds.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 07:40:20 pm »
hi,

its all video that i don't get a picture for just the audio don't matter if its dvd, video files or sarah on the set up its like its hidden on a different screen as i can even fast forward and rewind video, very strange but if anyone has any suggestions please let us know

cheers

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 10:39:00 pm »
Gentlemen,

We will need much more specific information to be able to trace any of this through.

Please include the full snapshot number for the installation you did.
Please include the FULL name of the video card you are using.
When you say 'it failed' please provide copies of logs and/or specific error messages.
Please run 'lspci -nn | grep VGA" and paste the output to identify your video card.

Without all of this information (and perhaps more) we cannot even begin to trace the issue.  Thanks.

J.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 01:20:46 pm »
Hi,

I reloaded the 14-Feb-2014 again from scratch and I got Sarah but no audio.

(This time I checked "Install this third-party software" in "Preparing to install LinuxMCE.)

I'm presently trying to determine what the audio issue is.

My audio hardware is SIS SI7012 (Card0_SI7012;pci0000:00/0000:00:02.7) in AVWizard.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 01:15:40 am »
Hi,

What I found in alsamixer was if I muted headphone and line jack I could get sound on YouTube videos.

If I re-ran Setup Wizard I got audio (having only Sarah after earlier reload from scratch).

If I re-ran AVWizard everything returned to default and I had to unmute everything, but headphone and line jack, plus, push the volumes up.

Cheers

garagevibes

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 02:26:15 pm »
Hi,

Sorry for the delay I attempted to install the internet install to see if that worked but it was also a no go Kubuntu installed a driver for graphics before the LinuxMCE install but then left me with the AV wizard not running and the setup wizard started going mad and adding not just my drives but also itself dcerouter as a file share and still I had the no video issue.

So I have again attempted the DVD install and I have the same issue I had with the graphics driver as before, last time I resolved this by downloading and installing the Nvidia driver manually from a usb stick with the file I got from the Nvidia website which worked fine except for the no video issue.

Worth noting as well is that I have to edit the Grub boot line with nomodeset and turn off the splash and quiet boot to get this far otherwise I just get invalid format on my tv but attached is a picture of how far I get before it reboots and then I get an unlimited loop of this loading trying to install nvidia-current then shutdown then try again etc.

Does anyone have any further suggestions how to proceed? the graphics card if you cant make it out is Nvidia GT218 [Geforce 210] with a PCI-ID of PCI-0a65

Many thanks for your help.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 04:43:57 pm »
Hi,

As noted earlier I had Sarah come up with NO audio after I reloaded from scratch.

I have an older Nvidia card GS8400 and am not experiencing problems other than wrong size after setting up in AVWizard + no audio.

With further testing I discovered that when Sarah runs all I have to do is open a terminal and mute Headphone.  I then have Sarah audio.

Hopefully someone with a version of card closer to yours can help.

Cheers.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 11:46:46 pm »
I reloaded the 14-Feb-2014 again from scratch and I got Sarah but no audio.

(This time I checked "Install this third-party software" in "Preparing to install LinuxMCE.)

I'm presently trying to determine what the audio issue is.

My audio hardware is SIS SI7012 (Card0_SI7012;pci0000:00/0000:00:02.7) in AVWizard.

Install third party software is not required with lmce.  It installs codec packs mostly, and we install the items that lmce requires.

Can you pastebin the file /etc/asound.conf and /etc/pluto/xine.conf please after you have been through the AVWizard.  What are the complete audio options that you are choosing?  Is this Stereo/hdmi?  We will need specifics in order to try and find the problem.

J.

J.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 11:48:07 pm »
Hi,

What I found in alsamixer was if I muted headphone and line jack I could get sound on YouTube videos.

If I re-ran Setup Wizard I got audio (having only Sarah after earlier reload from scratch).

If I re-ran AVWizard everything returned to default and I had to unmute everything, but headphone and line jack, plus, push the volumes up.

Cheers

Hmm.  That's very odd behaviour and not standard behaviour for a sound card.

J.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 11:51:54 pm »
Hi,

Sorry for the delay I attempted to install the internet install to see if that worked but it was also a no go Kubuntu installed a driver for graphics before the LinuxMCE install but then left me with the AV wizard not running and the setup wizard started going mad and adding not just my drives but also itself dcerouter as a file share and still I had the no video issue.

So I have again attempted the DVD install and I have the same issue I had with the graphics driver as before, last time I resolved this by downloading and installing the Nvidia driver manually from a usb stick with the file I got from the Nvidia website which worked fine except for the no video issue.

Worth noting as well is that I have to edit the Grub boot line with nomodeset and turn off the splash and quiet boot to get this far otherwise I just get invalid format on my tv but attached is a picture of how far I get before it reboots and then I get an unlimited loop of this loading trying to install nvidia-current then shutdown then try again etc.

Does anyone have any further suggestions how to proceed? the graphics card if you cant make it out is Nvidia GT218 [Geforce 210] with a PCI-ID of PCI-0a65

Many thanks for your help.

That's quite odd.  The nvidia-current package should be on the dvd.  Can you pastebin the contents of /etc/sources.list and `ls /usr/pluto/deb-cache/*`. 

Thanks for testing!

J.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 02:49:29 pm »
Hi,

I might be trying another snap, I've also tried a bunch of stuff on my present configuration and would need to reload from scratch.

I'll keep you posted either way.

Thanks

Cheers.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 07:19:18 pm »
This could all be caused by the firewall bug that was found last night.  I suggest waiting for a new snapshot.

J.