Author Topic: 64-bit install  (Read 3683 times)

Blues

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
64-bit install
« on: January 23, 2014, 02:31:23 am »
I'd like to run LMCE in a virtual machine, the host has no 32-bit support. Possible? Can't find 64-bit LMCE download.

mkbrown69

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: 64-bit install
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 03:19:04 am »
What's the host & hypervisor?  I do virtualization for a living, and short of architecture or endian issues, I have yet to see a 64-bit CPU that won't run 32-bit code (with the correct libraries of course); and that's talking Sparc, Power, and x86.

I run KVM on a Phenom II host with a 64-bit Kernel, 32-bit user land, and LMCE 32-bit running as a VM.  Before anyone thinks I'm crazy (hmmm, maybe? ;-). The host OS started life as a 32-bit Debian 3 install on an over-clocked Pentium 233 MHz, and has been through a number of in-place OS and hardware upgrades over the years, now currently Debian 7.1.  Multi-arch may let me finally go all 64-bit, or I may bite the bullet and re-install.  So much to do, so little time...

FYI, there is no current 64-bit LMCE builds...

HTH!

/Mike

Blues

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 01:06:23 am »
Gentoo 64-bit, no-multilib profile (this is a Gentoo thing), VirtualBox. Basically, there is no 32-bit libraries in the system. Reconfiguring kernel to support 32-bit is easy, compiling 32-bit libraries requires 32-bit toolchain ... which requires 32-bit ...
Well, I guess I have to go thru that ordeal and and inject that 32-bit stuff into this Gentoo box somehow to turn it multilib.
Thanks for your reply.

mkbrown69

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 01:43:45 am »
Ok, if you're running VirtualBox, you don't need 32-bit libraries on the host.  VirtualBox provides hardware virtualization, so all you need to do is create the VM "container" with at least a 50GB  "virtual hard drive", attach the LMCE ISO to it as a CDROM, and configure the boot order to boot from CDROM first.

You may wish to read through the VirtualBox docs at https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html

You can use VBox as a test bed, but I wouldn't recommend it for "production" use, at least not with LMCE.  Unless you really know your way around virtualization products and configuration, it's best to just install LMCE one bare metal.

HTH!

/Mike

Blues

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 02:08:13 am »
Hey, thanks alot! Do I even need 32-bit support in kernel?
I do not have any spare boxes, I need to run it natively on Gentoo or in a VM.
What are possible caveats running it in VM? All I need really is Z-Wave. VBox can pass USB devices to a client, that's all I need.

Blues

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 07:48:20 pm »
Failure ... :(
VirtualBox built on a pure 64-bit host will not support 32-bit guests - now when I think of it it's obvious. Additionally, if host does not support VT-x 64-bit quests are not supported. Since this is a E2180 (no VT-x) the VBox I installed is completely useless.
Going to add 32-bit support to the host.