Author Topic: {Solved] Adding a HD for all media storage  (Read 3309 times)

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
{Solved] Adding a HD for all media storage
« on: January 17, 2014, 01:38:33 pm »
I installed LMCE 12.04 on a spare 80GB drive. Now it seems that 12.04 is working well enough for me to use it as my main core. My thought is to keep LMCE on the 80GB and use my 1.5TB hard drive from my old 10.04 install as a drive exclusively for media. Is this a good idea or should I just use the 1.5TB for everything?

If it's a good idea, are the wiki instructions accurate for 12.04 http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Add_an_additional_hard_drive

Once I have the HD working, how do I make the new drive the place where all MythTV recordings and other media go to as default? How do I safely move the current videos from the 80GB to the 1.5TB?

Thank you,
B34N
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:57:24 pm by B34N »

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
Re: Adding a HD for all media storage
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 02:12:54 pm »
 :)
Hello and welcome.

I always keep my media on a different set of drives. That way if you do a complete, full nuke and pave re-install, all your media remains in tact.
I know Ubuntu can usually be upgraded but I have seen with this project that sometimes it is easier and faster to do a complete re-install.

So your media stays safe, and your OS can change at will.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 02:48:33 pm »
Yes. Keep media off of the 80 gb drive.

As that 1.5 fills up, it is easy to just drop little NAS bricks onto the network. A wise man also backs everything up. You would be smart to duplicate your efforts going forward, and clonezilla your stable system onto the 1.5 somewhere as an image.
I never quit... I just ping out.

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 02:06:36 am »
Cool, it sounds like I have a solid plan. Are the instructions still valid for 12.04? Also, how do I move my current data files to the new drive and tell the system to record all new content to the "media" drive?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 10:11:50 am »
If you select use automatically, it should automagically use the bigger device. Re moving: I would move it manually on the commandline.

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: {Solved] Adding a HD for all media storage
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 05:58:46 pm »
It worked well. Instructions on the wiki were very helpful. Only change is I used ext4 instead of xfs since xfs was not installed.

I'm even able to move the recordings right from the video menu.