Author Topic: Audio - Multiple simultaneos outputs  (Read 4781 times)

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
Audio - Multiple simultaneos outputs
« on: January 16, 2014, 02:34:50 am »
My 12.04 install is currently outputting audio through HDMI. I would like to also have it output through the standard analog 3.5mm stereo plug simultaneously. Is that possible and how?

My Core hybrid is in my basement and I recently hooked up to an old but functioning LCD TV though HDMI. In the basement I also have an old receiver that I use to play audio to my in wall speakers throughout my house. Before I changed over to HDMI, I simply have video through DVI and played audio thought the analog 3.5mm output. Now that I have HDMI working I would like to use the TV but want to also fill the house with music through the 3.5mm output. Thoughts?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Audio - Multiple simultaneos outputs
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 06:39:43 am »
squeezeslave

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 01:38:50 pm »
squeezeslave

I love one word answers that are not "No". Thank you.

Don't I need a Squeezebox to run squeezeslave? Do I need to use a USB audio adapter or can I simply use my internal sound car? Does squeezeslave work on 12.04 and does it run Pandora stations?

B34N
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 01:51:02 pm by B34N »

Dap-P

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 02:01:41 pm »

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 02:34:22 pm »
Perhaps this could be of use : http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Squeezeslave_on_the_core

Thank you. I did look up the wiki entry before but I guess I needed to read it closer. Seems like I don't need a actual SqueezeBox...just the Squeeze Server. Seems that Pandora would work. Looks like I need a separate sound card for each SqueezeSlave....but unclear if I can use my existing internal sound card without messing up my ability to have audio output through HDMI. I would not be needing to play videos and squeezeslave simultaneously.

Thank you,
B34N

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 03:23:21 pm »
whether or not you are able to utilize the onboard HDMI and analog is a matter of trial and error. Some work, some don't. If yours doesn't, get an external USB Audio adapter, or an internal PCI card.

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 04:53:07 pm »
The Startech Virtual 7.1 USB Audio Adapter (model No. ICUSBAUD107) works a treat.

Not speaking from experience here so I might be wrong, but I understand it is difficult to sync audio zones (if that's something you require).

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 03:02:26 am »
The Startech Virtual 7.1 USB Audio Adapter (model No. ICUSBAUD107) works a treat.

Not speaking from experience here so I might be wrong, but I understand it is difficult to sync audio zones (if that's something you require).

I just ordered the Startech. I was hoping to get away without addition purchases. With luck the $40 USD after shipping and tax will be justified by being able to control the channels through the android orbiter.

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
[Solved] Re: Audio - Multiple simultaneos outputs
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 02:09:38 am »
The Squeezeslave with the 7.1 usb soundcard works well....I just didn't realize exactly how it was supposed to work. I got excited and thought that I'd be able to play squeezebox apps such as Pandora. That's what I mainly use the audio for. I'll post a separate thread more specific to that.

The instructions on the wiki were very good. The only parts I needed clarification on were:
If already SSHed into the core, you don't need to try to ssh to the moon### device for the core
You need to run most, if not all, of the commands as root (same as most everything else is seems)
The way you access the squeeze slave is have an orbiter activate audio in the room that you associated the slave with

I'll work to newbify the instructions in case there are others like me out there.

B34N

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 01:58:27 pm »
Those USB sound cards are just a very cheap and easy way of adding audio zones, and you control it like you would an MD. I have one for my bathroom speakers, one for my garden speakers, and one for my guitar amp. They are brilliant considering it means you can do away with an entire MD and its associated gubbins if audio is all you need.

I don't use Pandora (not sure I really know what it is), but why don't you have a look at adding some internet radio stations and playing those through your new USB sound card.

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 02:06:56 pm »
Those USB sound cards are just a very cheap and easy way of adding audio zones, and you control it like you would an MD. I have one for my bathroom speakers, one for my garden speakers, and one for my guitar amp. They are brilliant considering it means you can do away with an entire MD and its associated gubbins if audio is all you need.

An it looks like I can use the one 7.1 card to run four different stereo channels. That's pretty cool. I don't have a need for it yet, but cool nonetheless.

I don't use Pandora (not sure I really know what it is), but why don't you have a look at adding some internet radio stations and playing those through your new USB sound card.

I used the script to install my local Internet radio stations. It's really cool, but I like the customizable and commercial-free streaming of Pandora. I wish I could explicitly connect to a channel that I create in pandora like a normal Internet Radio station.

I have a bunch of friends and colleagues coming over for a Poker game on Thursday. I was hoping to have enough buttoned up by then. One of them is a programmer who has tons of media. If I can get him interested, maybe he'd join in with LMCE development.

B34N