Author Topic: 1004 new install  (Read 4925 times)

pgreenwood

• View Profile
1004 new install
« on: January 09, 2014, 08:23:41 pm »
Hello --

This morning I successfully loaded the 1004 DVD to a 300GB PATA drive on a Dell Dimension E310 with 1GB RAM. The first effort on a 10GB PATA drive failed. I thought the drive was bad, but now I suspect it was because there was a hairline scratch across the DVD. I selected the Hybrid install. The setup video is now prompting for a remote control device, so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

I have the HDHomerun Prime and a cable card from Cox. I hope to at least be able to capture some TV, then go from there.

I'm a complete newbie to HA, TV capture, this board and LinuxMCE, with some years on Debian. Wish me luck!

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: 1004 new install
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 09:45:14 pm »
Make sure to remember LinuxMCE Rule #1 - see top of page for details!

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 11:55:04 pm »
Hello --

This morning I successfully loaded the 1004 DVD to a 300GB PATA drive on a Dell Dimension E310 with 1GB RAM. The first effort on a 10GB PATA drive failed. I thought the drive was bad, but now I suspect it was because there was a hairline scratch across the DVD. I selected the Hybrid install. The setup video is now prompting for a remote control device, so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

I have the HDHomerun Prime and a cable card from Cox. I hope to at least be able to capture some TV, then go from there.

I'm a complete newbie to HA, TV capture, this board and LinuxMCE, with some years on Debian. Wish me luck!

If you are looking to decrypt channels you are going to need LMCE 1204... which is hit or miss at the moment depending on your hw with regard to stability. It wants to know how you want to control the TV... if you do not have a TV that can be controlled by rs232, just tell it not to control your tv.
I never quit... I just ping out.

pgreenwood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 11:24:35 pm »
If you are looking to decrypt channels

I'm not sure. I'm on Cox Essential tier. I now have a bunch of digital content via a Motorola STB - TCM, ESPN and ESPN2 etc that I formerly had only in SD. If I can get those channels with 1004, that's all I want. I will experiment. Thanks.

pgreenwood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 11:26:09 pm »
...I'm on Cox Essential tier. I will experiment. Thanks.

When I got the cable card from Cox, I also got a Tuning Adapter (TA) I followed Cox' instructions to connect the HDHomerun Prime (HDHRP) and TA. I went into LMCE admin and disabled HDHRP through MythTV, then launched the HDHRP config gui. I see 3 tuners therein. I scan the tuners with the ">>" button. When It looks like I may have something, I press "View" then a viewer window opens up and I see a bunch of garbage.

The computer is a repurposed Dell E310. I think the integrated video is nothing special. By my reading it is an Intel GMA 900 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 3.0. I have an available PCI slot.

I already have one ethernet adapter on the core/hybrid  that  receives internet from the cable router. There is an ethernet connection between the HDHRP and the core/hybrid. If I had remote MDs, how would the content get to them? Do I need a third ethernet adapter on the core?  Thanks.

CentralMedia

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 01:28:12 pm »
Hi

In your setup, the nic not connected to your router, would be your internal network, normally connected to some kind of switch, and your MD's will be connected to to that switch, which will have fully access.

You would need to build your MD's etc, ie, connect a computer, not as powerful as the main machine (core/hybrid), power on and the magic happens, once all the drivers are supported for that computer.

You would only need 2 Ethernet cards, unless you have something fancy planned, one for the external, goes to your cable router and one internal, goes to a switch or your wireless router(with DHCP disabled) or Access Point

pgreenwood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 05:36:54 pm »

...and the magic happens, once all the drivers are supported for that computer.....

Just a note to update on my progress. I decided 1004 would not work for me because I needed mythtv 0.25 minimum for the HDHR3-CC and LMCE 1004 was less than that as I recall.

I tried mythbuntu 12.04.3 with mythtv 0.25. I was able to record some HD and SD content on the basic channels from Cox Omaha then I went wild in an effort to run a remote frontend from my laptop with the Mythbuntu LiveCD. As the mythtv setup reflected backend address of 127.0.0.1 I set out to change it to a "real" IP address.

Now I'm stuck where I can't launch the backend, the frontend, the backend gui or the frontend gui. I may have to reinstall it, which is probably timely, as I think now is the time to arrange for some storage.

I'm not really asking a question, but certainly will not refuse any suggestions anyone has for how to reconfigure my backcnd and frontend so I can "see" them again. Thanks.