Author Topic: 12.04 DVD install fails  (Read 3215 times)

paenian

• View Profile
12.04 DVD install fails
« on: January 02, 2014, 03:18:58 pm »
When I try to do install from the DVD, I fail out to intramfs.

If I cat casper.log, all I see is repeated "can't create X: nonexistent directory" and plenty of "no such file or directory".

I can't see the first error message to figure out where it fell off the rails - is there a command to page the file?  There's no less/more in the limited shell.

Any other tips?  I've installed from the kubuntu+script approach, but have the no DCE-router problem.

Thanks!

paenian

• View Profile
Re: 12.04 DVD install fails
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 01:31:12 am »
So, some progress.

The installer succeeds if there are no hard drives present - it appears that the installer can't find itself after it plays with hard drives.

casper.log starts with "chroot: can't execute 'mktemp': no such file or directory

Fails the same way whether I use a CD or a USB stick to install, and with just a single SSD or a single regular drive.  All drives are SATA, in case anyone else has this issue, and all of them have been used.

I'm going to boot into the Kubuntu installer and wipe all the partitions - all the disks were part of software raid, maybe that's confusing the installer.

Paul

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 03:17:49 pm »
Have you had any flavour of Linux installed on this machine before?

Have a look in your BIOS at the hard disk mode, try playing with that setting, try AHCI if you haven't already (maybe they are currently set to legacy or similar). Either way, have a play. Your mobo manufacturer may refer to this setting differently.

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

paenian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 05:58:49 pm »
Yes, it had Mythbuntu on it before, running from software raid disks.  I'm trying to upgrade to mythtv+home automation :-)  Apparently that was the problem.

The installer fails whenever there's a RAID partition present - kicks right out to intramFS.  I'm adding it as a defect now that I've figured out why.

To fix: run the kubuntu alternate installer, remove raid partitions.

I'd really like software raid on the system... I like redundancy.

Paul

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 09:01:08 pm »
Cool, glad it's sorted.

I've never tried RAID, more of a rsync/cronjob man myself, as you can customise the command for different folders, mirror, delete options, etc.

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps