Author Topic: Videosettings initial setup screen  (Read 7945 times)

avandel

• View Profile
Videosettings initial setup screen
« on: November 28, 2013, 09:53:27 pm »
Hello everybody...
After being two years out of this world, went back on earth and to my joy i found that there was a new version of linuxmce, after settling etc, moving, etc. i dl the iso and put it on a dvd.
This evening i wanted to go and have a look, old Pentium 4, 1,5 gb mem, simple video, two respectable hard disks and a lot of joy for what's coming. It looked ok, but the first thing you as user must do is set the desired video, audio etc...
Well, having no money, and that is a bummer, i could not afford a better system than the old bogger i have, otherwise i would donate... ;)
So, that first screen is the trouble, i set vga, then 1280X1024 at 50 hz, because the monitor, old one but not too old, can handle 1280x1024 easily. Then i press enter, the screen goes black, flickers a little bit, and after 20-25 seconds it goes back to STEP 1, Every thing is where i was.
Is it my fault, my imagination? My counselor and my therapist saids to me that i should warn the people around me that i can speak from the heart, not really understanding that i could hurt anyone (aspergers) So, who can make this baby run?
I can say what i think, but one keyboard flying through the air is enough... Please help!
A...

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Videosettings initial setup screen
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 11:10:07 pm »
My first guess with my crystal ball is, that your video card is probably not supported as good as it should. Try 1024x768 as that's a resolution the regular vga driver should be capable of providing.

avandel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 04:31:04 pm »
Hi,
No, no, no, no.....
I guess that all my hardware is as old as Methusalah, and i can install every OS on it except 64 bit, W7,8 Server2008 and greater. So it must be that.
It looks like i have an unknown videocard... Why don't you guys make a little tool, that i can install on a simple USB stick, boot from it, and a program on that stick tells exactly what hardware i have, thus asking me to update that info to you guys, and implement it in your MCE...  (wishfull thinking)
It would be more efficient in the proces of even bother to start this endevour, before i start agression mode 5, smashing with things, cursing, (and even at you guys). This is not intended to do so. I really like the software, i really like the possibilities, and i really, really, really want to see this to work.
By the time i'm an old dude, it could be happening.  8)
So, i stop changing video, and start to change the dhcp server, which i find tremendoes disturbingly not asking if i want it on my network, all ipad and wireless devices can't connect to the internet after installing this MCE, i think it must be my old hardware..... :-\
And when i tried to change from dynamic (dhcp) to static ip for the fifth time..... i gave up. Powercord out of the machine, networkcable loose, writing annoyance in this forum, and i'm going to relax with a cup of thea, playing a game.

I can not tell if i am in the neighbourhood these coming days, but if anyone has an idea.... glad to hear from you...
Thanks  ;)

A

avandel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 12:44:07 pm »
My first guess with my crystal ball is, that your video card is probably not supported as good as it should. Try 1024x768 as that's a resolution the regular vga driver should be capable of providing.
To quote your reaction, and in order to find a work around, i can hardly explain how, but it looks like if i get at one point 640X480 as a screen size, it almost looks like you are looking at an old monitor capable of showing 320X200 and when moving the mousecursor to the far end of the screen, the background slides along till the whole 640X480 area is shown, and getting back at initial left upper corner it goes the other side... Kinda wonder if i try to find another videocard, this problem is solved, but i am going to try. It has a dvi connector to it.... Ahwell, i'll try....
(Even i don't understand it fully, in the final desktop (very pleased to see that UserInterface) i found the settings, screensize etc.. it can only change in nothing else than the previous chosen resolution and other than that nothing better, bigger etc...) Maybe there is a catch to do that? Did i miss something? ??? like the annoying NOT getting the networkinterfaces right??? :-[
Thanks so far..
A...

Update: I took a hammer and worked the videocard out of it's living.... :) and i can make up that it is a AGP, ASUSN6600/TD Series 256. Eh, is it old as dinosaurs??? Ah well, a Pentium 4, 1,5 gb memory, who am i kiddin.... Ok, lets keep it at this, i will replace the hardware if i have the money...ever....
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 01:36:54 pm by avandel »

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 05:10:07 pm »
Hi,
No, no, no, no.....
I guess that all my hardware is as old as Methusalah, and i can install every OS on it except 64 bit, W7,8 Server2008 and greater. So it must be that.
It looks like i have an unknown videocard... Why don't you guys make a little tool, that i can install on a simple USB stick, boot from it, and a program on that stick tells exactly what hardware i have, thus asking me to update that info to you guys, and implement it in your MCE...  (wishfull thinking)
It would be more efficient in the proces of even bother to start this endevour, before i start agression mode 5, smashing with things, cursing, (and even at you guys). This is not intended to do so. I really like the software, i really like the possibilities, and i really, really, really want to see this to work.
By the time i'm an old dude, it could be happening.  8)
So, i stop changing video, and start to change the dhcp server, which i find tremendoes disturbingly not asking if i want it on my network, all ipad and wireless devices can't connect to the internet after installing this MCE, i think it must be my old hardware..... :-\
And when i tried to change from dynamic (dhcp) to static ip for the fifth time..... i gave up. Powercord out of the machine, networkcable loose, writing annoyance in this forum, and i'm going to relax with a cup of thea, playing a game.

I can not tell if i am in the neighbourhood these coming days, but if anyone has an idea.... glad to hear from you...
Thanks  ;)

A

The card should be supported.
What version LMCE are you attempting to install?
What is the output of lspci -nn | grep VGA
I am guessing its pciid is in the 014X range.

You might try either vga2 or running at 60hz. Almost everything wants 60. My guess is something simple like this.

Don't much care if you don't like the way networking has to work. It is an appliance. It must serve everything the way it wants to so it can control/use/be controlled by everything. Do not fight the network, or nothing will ever work right.
I never quit... I just ping out.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 01:40:09 am »
Hi,

I thought I'd upgrade to 12.04.

I got around the eth0 & eth1 mix up by swapping back and forth in webadmin.

I'm having problems with my display setup.  I'm using a GS8400 with a CRT screen which is not fully populating the screen - image wise.

I've set video as VGA, VGA2 have tried various resolutions up to 1024x768 @ 60hz but the screen remains small.

I've tried creating an xorg.conf (Xorg -configure) and regenerating video setup but no go.

This is the first time this system has encountered this display issue (good in 10.4, 8.10, etc.)

I'm going to try removing the Nvidia card from the system and go with the default display adapter.

If anyone else has any suggestions please advise

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 02:00:18 pm »
Hi,

I tried the on board VGA display adapter but it was a no go.

I wanted to take a look at the display setting in KDE but KDE crashes.

I put the GS8400 back into the system and took another look at the manually generated xorg.conf

The xorg.conf file did not contain any EDID information for my display.

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier            "Monitor0"
   VendorName     "Unknown"
   ModelName       "Unknown"
   HorizSync            28.0 - 33.0
   VertRefresh         43.0 - 72.0
   Option                 "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier            "Screen0"
   Device               "Device0"
   Monitor              "Monitor0"
   DefaultDepth      24
   Subsection        "Display"
           Depth         24
   EndSubSection

Since I was trying to use a resolution of 1024x768 I added the following to Section "Monitor" below the ModelName line...

ModeLine          "1024x768" 70.00 1024 1072 1176 1328 768 771 775 798 -hsync +vsync

Then I added the following to Section "Screen" in the SubSection "Display" below the Depth line...

Modes               "1024x768"

I then reboot the Core/Hybrid and my display came up as 1024x768.

Hope this will help others.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:01:58 pm by pigdog »

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 03:44:32 pm »
Pigdog... where did you find your xorg.conf file? I don't have one... that I can locate.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 04:05:30 pm »
Hi,

I've tried creating an xorg.conf (Xorg -configure) and regenerating video setup but no go.

Cheers

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 08:30:41 pm »
Hi,

This is strange.  I have reloaded from scratch a bunch of times.  Sometimes no xorg.conf is automatically generated, other times a xorg.conf gets generated.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 11:54:06 pm »
Hi,

Feb.21 and Feb.23 second edition provided xorg.conf.

I still need to edit them to fill my screen properly.

Cheers.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 05:55:24 pm »
Hi,

xorg.conf generated on Feb. 24/12 28755 but I still have to modify to fill screen.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 02:16:12 am »
xorg.conf generated on Feb. 24/12 28755 but I still have to modify to fill screen.

What do you mean by "modify to fill screen."?  Can you be more specific as to what you are doing.

J.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 03:22:09 am »
Hi,

When I run AVWizard and select VGA 1024x768 @60hz the terminal screen on completion of the AVWizard and/or when system boots into SetupWizard does not fill the monitor as it has always done since 7.04.

It's about 2/3rd the size in the upper left section of the screen.

The xorg.conf has to modified using an editor to add the lines...

ModeLine          "1024x768" 70.00 1024 1072 1176 1328 768 771 775 798 -hsync +vsync

and

Modes               "1024x768"

..before the CRT screen is properly rendered.

Cheers

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 05:20:01 am »
Hmm.   L3 is the AV guy.  I'll have to let him chime in on that one.

J.