Author Topic: Any motherboard suggestions?  (Read 5105 times)

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Any motherboard suggestions?
« on: November 23, 2013, 03:03:21 am »
Good day guys, I've been running 10.04 fine until my motherboard crapped out beyond no repair.  I've been looking at the posts but haven't come up with any suggestions for a new motherboard other than someone suggesting to look at Andrew's setup.  does anybody have any suggestions that has been proven to work with 10.04 or 12.04 which i more than likely will step up to? appreciate any input. thanks

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
Re: Any motherboard suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 12:33:55 pm »
There are so many to choose from, and a very high percentage of them work. Plus everybody has different needs in terms of how many slots they require, are you using it as a hybrid or just a core, etc. So there's not much point in recommending a specific one to try.

Why not get whichever one you fancy from your local shop, connect up a hard drive and power supply, and see if it works? And if it doesn't, just exchange it.

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 05:41:31 pm »
Good day guys, I've been running 10.04 fine until my motherboard crapped out beyond no repair.  I've been looking at the posts but haven't come up with any suggestions for a new motherboard other than someone suggesting to look at Andrew's setup.  does anybody have any suggestions that has been proven to work with 10.04 or 12.04 which i more than likely will step up to? appreciate any input. thanks

I'm a little rusty as I haven't been in hardware purchasing mode for 4+ years, but...

IIRC, Thom is a big advocate of the more expensive server-grade motherboards for this application. Also, I read that IO is typically the limiting factor for this software... not CPU or RAM.

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 08:12:37 pm »
Thanks guys.....So there are no nvidia chip restrictions I should use as guidline?

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 10:09:08 am »
You haven't said whether you are intending on using the motherboard as a hybrid or standalone core. If hybrid is what you require, then yes nVidia might not be a bad idea (although that's not to say people haven't had successes with other cards). As for which chip, personally, if I had a choice between two, I would go for the older one. But that's just me.

Cheers,
Matt.

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 06:07:30 pm »
You haven't said whether you are intending on using the motherboard as a hybrid or standalone core. If hybrid is what you require, then yes nVidia might not be a bad idea (although that's not to say people haven't had successes with other cards). As for which chip, personally, if I had a choice between two, I would go for the older one. But that's just me.

Cheers,
Matt.

sorry for the delayed response....i have been out of town. Right now I have the core 8200 chip (which crapped out) setup in my laundry room as a standalone.  I was just trying to replace the board but it's so old that its hard to find, so i'm left with rebuilding from scratch.   Obviously doing so would increase my cost due to having to buy a new cpu. I'm wondering if i should just buy a tower and call it day......but i've been with lmce since 7.10 and remember the video card issues so i wanted make sure of my options. thanks for the replies even though my reply was delayed.

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 01:50:22 pm »
Personally, for my standalone core, I've always just used whatever motherboard/graphics I have laying around, regardless of brand/performance. Or buy a mobo that ticks all the boxes, without caring about graphics. Even if the screen does appear the size of a matchbox, why do you care. But this is just my experience. You could always stick an older nVidia graphics card in if you had serious problems.

Don't piddle about buying old kit to match your old CPU, just cough up and replace it all, doesn't need to be particularly powerful.

Cheers,
Matt.

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 01:37:17 am »
Personally, for my standalone core, I've always just used whatever motherboard/graphics I have laying around, regardless of brand/performance. Or buy a mobo that ticks all the boxes, without caring about graphics. Even if the screen does appear the size of a matchbox, why do you care. But this is just my experience. You could always stick an older nVidia graphics card in if you had serious problems.

Don't piddle about buying old kit to match your old CPU, just cough up and replace it all, doesn't need to be particularly powerful.

Cheers,
Matt.

Ok will do. Response much appreciated