Author Topic: DHCP Question  (Read 2848 times)

beggers359

• View Profile
DHCP Question
« on: September 13, 2013, 01:16:55 am »
I don't want to restart the DHCP server. How can I release both an active and static IP in 10.04?

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: DHCP Question
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 11:41:33 am »
If it is static it hasn't come via DHCP server.
What exactly are you trying to achieve?

-Coley.

beggers359

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 05:41:15 pm »
That's odd because the DHCP server clearly changed the IP addresses of the PC-type devices on my network that were set up to receive a DHCP address and categorized them as "Static" on the LinuxMCE DHCP server's admin page. That may just be the vernacular, but it detected my Slingbox and assigned it a "Static"address. It was the only device on the network that had a static IP set before I installed MCE. The IP MCE tried to assign it conflicted with the IP assigned in the device. It caused me an issue that only a hard reset on the Slingbox would fix.

I've tried looking for the DHCP daemon, but I can't find it. That's really what I'm looking for. Thanks!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 07:38:42 pm »
Our provisioning happens via an interaction of the dhcpd-plugin, and the isc dhcp3 server. It's basically split with the rules outlined in the Advanced > Network > Network Settings page, with the following implicitly:

If a device is added to the device tree, that has an IP and MAC address (see the Advanced > configuration > network devices), then that MAC address is given that specific IP address via a static mapping. You should not modify the DHCP configuration file directly, as your changes may be overwritten when the router needs to be reloaded.

So if you need a device that absolutely needs a static IP mapping, then add a device to your tree. If there is no template, just make one, even if it is a "dummy" template with no device data, or pnp information.

-Thom