Author Topic: GeForce GTX760 - Failed to Setup X  (Read 4387 times)

beggers359

• View Profile
GeForce GTX760 - Failed to Setup X
« on: August 28, 2013, 12:44:59 pm »
Trying to install 10.04 using an EVGA GeForce GTX760 and a Gateway HD DVI monitor. Monitor is connected via VGA using VGA to DVI adapter on the GTX760. I get the Failed to Setup X error after installation when the the AVWizard runs for the first time. MCE works just fine with the VESA drivers loaded during the Live setup. Any ideas on how to fix?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 03:34:56 pm by beggers359 »

CentralMedia

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: GeForce GTX760 - Failed to Setup X
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 04:21:38 pm »
I had a GT 430 with no sound, but got video, maybe you can look at the following link that was posted for me to try

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/1004_Video_Hardware_Compatibility_List

Its seems after upgrading your kernel, you may also need to install the latest nvidia drivers,

/usr/pluto/bin/Stop_X.sh
add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
apt-get update
apt-get install -y nvidia-current

Also Alsa

add-apt-repository ppa:team-iquik/alsa
apt-get update
apt-get install -y alsa-base
apt-get install -y alsa-utils

I hope you do not mind my comment, but that is a lot of oomph for a HTPC, plenty current draw, nice card to game on though :)

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 04:56:52 pm »
Trying to install 10.04 using an EVGA GeForce GTX760 and a Gateway HD DVI monitor. Monitor is connected via VGA using VGA to DVI adapter on the GTX760. I get the Failed to Setup X error after installation when the the AVWizard runs for the first time. MCE works just fine with the VESA drivers loaded during the Live setup. Any ideas on how to fix?

Don't even think this card existed when I finished detection. I probably don't have a ppid for it. Please return the result of
lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A3

If it is just missing I will add it. You will then just need to update and reboot and it should install what it needs and reboot to AVWiz.
I never quit... I just ping out.

beggers359

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 10:42:28 pm »
CentralMedia - The driver updates worked like a champ. AVWizard started after first reboot. Thanks for the sage advice!! As for the beefy card, no offense taken. Thanks again for being interested. The box has 16GB of 2133 RAM and an AMD Phenom II X6 with an SSD drive. Way too much sexiness for this application, but it's just what I have available. I agree with you on the power consumption. Have you tried installing MCE on a DreamPlug or other appliance that doesn't require much?

l3mce - Here's the grep:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 [GeForce GTX 760] [10de:1187] (rev a1)
   Kernel driver in use: nvidia
   Kernel modules: nvidia, nvidiafb, nouveau
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 HDMI Audio Controller [10de:0e0a] (rev a1)

Thanks again to both of you. Probably the best forum experience ever. Good advice and a potential to help the masses!!  ;D

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 05:23:59 pm »
CentralMedia - The driver updates worked like a champ. AVWizard started after first reboot. Thanks for the sage advice!! As for the beefy card, no offense taken. Thanks again for being interested. The box has 16GB of 2133 RAM and an AMD Phenom II X6 with an SSD drive. Way too much sexiness for this application, but it's just what I have available. I agree with you on the power consumption. Have you tried installing MCE on a DreamPlug or other appliance that doesn't require much?

l3mce - Here's the grep:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 [GeForce GTX 760] [10de:1187] (rev a1)
   Kernel driver in use: nvidia
   Kernel modules: nvidia, nvidiafb, nouveau
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 HDMI Audio Controller [10de:0e0a] (rev a1)

Thanks again to both of you. Probably the best forum experience ever. Good advice and a potential to help the masses!!  ;D

Ok... I took the opportunity to add about 100 new nvidia cards to 1004 and submitted a new package request. Today or tomorrow you should be able to update and grab a new pluto-boot-scripts package, and it should install itself all the right way.

Cheers.
I never quit... I just ping out.