Author Topic: Looking to help  (Read 3999 times)

Crumble

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Looking to help
« on: August 27, 2013, 06:29:31 am »
I would like to start giving back to the LMCE community.  I am learning scripting, don't have knowledge of a language as of yet.  One of the hardest things I am finding about learning scripting is coming up with practical applications.  I was thinking I could give back a little, learn more about LMCE and scripting at the same time.  I don't know how much of this kind of work is around, but if someone needs something let me know.  I will be more than happy to take a stab at it.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to help
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 06:41:52 pm »
Hi Crumble!

There are lots of ways to get involved.  Wiki editing is huge!  Our documentation is always lagging behind the work. 

We need people to test.  Devices, video cards, etc.

Right now there is significant development happening on 1204.  And it is looking very good.  We have not had a chance to begin testing (much) on real hardware.  If you're interested in dedicating some time to testing it will provide lots of opportunity to learn scripting and detail errors you encounter.  Please be aware that some features in 1204 are either not working or are broken daily during coding/testing.  It is not production ready.  If you'd like to get involved drop by #linuxmce-devel, say hello, install a 1204 kubuntu cd and try installing LinuxMCE 1204.  Any and every issue needs to be indentified, tracked, solved and fixed.

J.

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 01:44:45 am »
I would like to start giving back to the LMCE community.  I am learning scripting, don't have knowledge of a language as of yet.  One of the hardest things I am finding about learning scripting is coming up with practical applications.  I was thinking I could give back a little, learn more about LMCE and scripting at the same time.  I don't know how much of this kind of work is around, but if someone needs something let me know.  I will be more than happy to take a stab at it.

What Phenigma said!
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 05:02:33 am »
Also, because I am selfish, I have a thing that needs to be done too.

I need a script that will
*Read all the .qml files in a directory
*Write them out to a specific format, in a specific file, in a specific place.

By doing this task, you would learn about:
*Structure of how to make a script, how to understand others.
*Executing shell commands and or interacting with the os to obtain what you need.
*How to find specific things using a scripting languages regular expression tools.
*Reading, writing, and placing files using a scripting language.
*Added bonus of writing your own bash script...which becomes an addiction.

Extra gold star for making it recursive, so you wouldn't need to run it over and over in multiple directories.
I would recommend bash for this, but others may have suggestions.

*See thom, i didn't push Qt for once ;)

-Langston
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

Crumble

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 07:15:48 am »
Awesome, I will install 12.04 and help anyway I can.  I don't have much equipment to test but am glad to test what i have. 

@golgoj

I will get to it.  I have a vacation starting on the 9th.  So will hopefully have it done by that weekend.  If not sooner.

Thank You for the advice phenigma and golgoj4. 

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 10:22:49 pm »
Excellent script application to try out!  Crumble feel free to ask questions, here or in irc.  And google is your friend!  :-)

J.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 01:26:56 am »
Awesome, I will install 12.04 and help anyway I can.  I don't have much equipment to test but am glad to test what i have. 

@golgoj

I will get to it.  I have a vacation starting on the 9th.  So will hopefully have it done by that weekend.  If not sooner.

Thank You for the advice phenigma and golgoj4. 

No rush, we aint exactly on deadlines :)

Good Hunting!