Author Topic: HD not found  (Read 5337 times)

deepB

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
HD not found
« on: August 19, 2013, 06:10:25 pm »
Hello,

I have a problem with my HD.

I have installed liuxmce on a virtual machine, and added a virtio-drive. In the Linuxmce installation I find it under /dev/vdb and can mount it without a problem. The drive already has movies and music on it, so how do I get linuxmce to use it?

Best regards
Daniel

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: HD not found
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 06:56:34 pm »
The storage radar in LinuxMCE does not know about /dev/vdX devices, and would need to be amended to use it.

The relevant code is in StorageDevices_Radar.sh and StorageDevices_StatusRadar.sh in /usr/pluto/bin (or in src/PlutoStorageDevices if you've checked out the source tree.), with a little digging you should see what to add.

Failing that, you could always just add the device manually to the device tree using Advanced > Configuration > Devices in the web admin, selecting your CORE (as I am assuming this is a disk attached to your core), and adding a child device of device template #1790, and then filling in the appropriate blanks,

at minimum:

PK_users - either public, a specific user, or use LinuxMCE directory structure (since this is an existing disk which hasn't been used with LMCE before I am assuming, this option isn't relevant to you...but you should look into LinuxMCE directory Structure for any new blank disks going forward. It provides for distinction between public and private media, as well as nice convienient places to put your media.)
Filesystem - the filesystem used as reported by the kernel
Online - This needs to be checked so the system knows the disk is available
Capacity - human readable capacity value (shown in Manage Drives)

However, I would strongly ask that you amend the storage radar, so that this benefits not only you, but other users of this type of setup in the long run.

Of course, if this is too much to begin with, you could just..oh..I don't know...USE A STANDARD STORAGE MECHANISM PERHAPS? :)

-Thom

(seriously, all you sysadmin types are going to fucking drive me to drinking. We realistically can't support all your zillions of edge cases for system environments that you guys want to willy nilly slap together without first understanding the system! I grow weary from it, and am THIS close to really spewing some nasty words about it.)

deepB

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 11:20:08 am »
The storage radar in LinuxMCE does not know about /dev/vdX devices, and would need to be amended to use it.

The relevant code is in StorageDevices_Radar.sh and StorageDevices_StatusRadar.sh in /usr/pluto/bin (or in src/PlutoStorageDevices if you've checked out the source tree.), with a little digging you should see what to add.

This worked nicely, thank you.

However, I would strongly ask that you amend the storage radar, so that this benefits not only you, but other users of this type of setup in the long run.
I am happy to commit the changes, I just have no idea how. Is there a wiki entry describing that?

Of course, if this is too much to begin with, you could just..oh..I don't know...USE A STANDARD STORAGE MECHANISM PERHAPS? :)

-Thom

(seriously, all you sysadmin types are going to fucking drive me to drinking. We realistically can't support all your zillions of edge cases for system environments that you guys want to willy nilly slap together without first understanding the system! I grow weary from it, and am THIS close to really spewing some nasty words about it.)

As far as I know this is pretty standard, shipping with the standard kernel since 2.6.25.

Of course I know that you cannot support all possible cases, standard or not, but actually I thought that I could use this system without first understanding every detail of it. I also thought that when somebody asked a question you could expect a normal and friendly answer.

With best regards
Daniel

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 07:31:10 pm »
Thanks. We accept diffs against our source tree, which can be found here:

http://Http://svn.linuxmce.org/svn/trunk/src

You can grab (check out) this with subversion. The relevant folder underneath src is BootScripts.

Once you've made the relevant changes, you can make a patch:

make sure you are inside src/ and do

Code: [Select]
svn diff > storage-fix-vdx.diff
Once this is done, you can make a new ticket here:

http://Http://svn.linuxmce.org/

And attach the diff. We will fold it into the next release.

P.s. My flippant attitude comes from many years of users literally whining for things, and not helping to make them happen. The few of us who work on this all the time, unpaid, can only do so much.

Thanks so much.

-Thom

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 05:26:10 pm »
I rewrote the radar a few years ago. If you hit problems don't be shy to ask me.
I never quit... I just ping out.

deepB

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 11:38:23 am »
I added the ticket... http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/1896

It is just a very very small change.

Best regards
Daniel

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God