Author Topic: Need some dedicated testers.  (Read 286692 times)

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Re: Need some dedicated testers.
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2013, 05:44:51 am »
The script downloads everything into the skins directory and qt5 qorbiter is looking for the files in skins/android/ not skins/. Once I copied everthing into skins/android/ I am able to connect on my S4.

Thank you for finding this!
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2013, 05:50:36 am »
Thank you for finding this!

fixed in svn. anyone else should be good to go.

langston
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2013, 09:07:30 am »
Both updated.

Crumble

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2013, 10:39:10 am »
Hi golgoj,

I ran the script and installed qt5 on my S4.  Had the same issue where had to copy skins directory to android directory.  Then it pops up with a black screen with menu options.  The exit button works.  The User and location button bring up a green screen .  I can hit the close button and that screen will go away.  I will get you logs tomorrow.  I am still learning how the log stuff works.  Plus want to start from the beginning,  I noticed a 404 error in the script.  I would post the ip but then Thom would give me the banz.  :-p

purps

• If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2013, 03:44:18 pm »
Using the setupQorbiter script (a couple of minutes ago) I didn't even get an android folder. However once I had created one, and moved the contents of skins into it, the orbiter loads up, see attached.

Strangely, at no point was I asked to enter a device number? Is that normal? Could this be as a result of having installed the Qt4 version previously - is it remembering that setting?

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2013, 05:31:10 pm »
Using the setupQorbiter script (a couple of minutes ago) I didn't even get an android folder. However once I had created one, and moved the contents of skins into it, the orbiter loads up, see attached.

Strangely, at no point was I asked to enter a device number? Is that normal? Could this be as a result of having installed the Qt4 version previously - is it remembering that setting?

Cheers,
Matt.

yeah if you had a previous version of config.xml in there, it would use the device number from that.
-golgoj4

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2013, 07:43:28 pm »
Gotcha. So why is my screenshot different to Hackit2me's?

Cheers,
Matt.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2013, 11:04:24 pm »
Gotcha. So why is my screenshot different to Hackit2me's?

Cheers,
Matt.

He is using the qt4 version, you are using the qt5 one?

Also its becoming painfully clear that im going to have to rework my code for detecting screen sizes. It seems the phones are getting the tablet UI's as they have much larger resolutions than android did when I started :). Ahh progress...or something.

Right now there are
2) Skins for Qt4 tablet :: "Default, Smokey"
1) Skin for Qt4 Phone :: "Default"
1) Skin for Qt5 Phone :: "Default"
1) Skin for Qt5 Tablet :: "Default"

And thats just android.

on x86 there is
4) Skins for Qt4 :: "STB", "Aeon", "Default", "Noir"
1) Skin for Qt5 :: "Default"

and the rpi form factor is basically going to clone STB.

i will take a look soon at this issue with the ui's, but at the moment im working on implementing the config screen when you run the app the first time. it will allow you to set some options without needing to edit the config manually.

-golgoj4

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2013, 11:23:04 pm »
That's good to know, was just wondering. Yeah I've got the QT5 version on my phone.

So is the idea for detecting whether it's a phone or a tablet purely from the point of view of defaulting to an appropriate skin? And certain skins lend themselves better to certain screen sizes?

Cheers,
Matt.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2013, 11:24:03 pm »
If you have an x86 machine

1) need you to post the output of
sudo find /usr/lib -name libQtCore*
2) Linux Version
3) If its fresh or upgraded version

This will help me figure out how to best target things. Basically, what im looking for is the existing qt versions on your machine.
If you dont find anything, qt may not be present, in which case, apt-get install libqt4-declarative and try again. thanks.

ex, on mine its /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libQtCore.so.4.8.1
then i can start producing builds for x86 linux targets.

raspberry pi is a known qtversion, just gotta get it back up and running!

golgoj4

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2013, 11:27:52 pm »
That's good to know, was just wondering. Yeah I've got the QT5 version on my phone.

So is the idea for detecting whether it's a phone or a tablet purely from the point of view of defaulting to an appropriate skin? And certain skins lend themselves better to certain screen sizes?

Cheers,
Matt.

You got it. Different screen sizes correlated to form factors when i started, and just shrinking the UI doesn't work in many cases, you have to re-lay the whole thing out. So that's why im trying to provide ui's for different form factors. not to mention the concept of rotation on the device itself and how that affects the ui. This is why you come across really small text in some places and over-sized things in others. Lucky for me, these things are all governed in one place :)

So now, another diversion to update the form factor code because its no longer engineering eyes only so to speak.

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2013, 11:39:49 pm »
You got it. Different screen sizes correlated to form factors when i started, and just shrinking the UI doesn't work in many cases, you have to re-lay the whole thing out. So that's why im trying to provide ui's for different form factors. not to mention the concept of rotation on the device itself and how that affects the ui. This is why you come across really small text in some places and over-sized things in others. Lucky for me, these things are all governed in one place :)

So now, another diversion to update the form factor code because its no longer engineering eyes only so to speak.

Interesting. Tell me to mind my own business, but...

In a world where resolutions on phones are getting bigger and bigger, and the phones themselves are getting bigger (these silly "phablets" for example), and then there's 7" tablets which I can barely use for anything and would clearly benefit from a 'small screen style' skin, how on Earth are you going to keep up with it?

Perhaps a skin that is too small and fiddly for a ham-fisted person with sausages for fingers to use effectively, is absolutely fine for another. Could the skin names themselves state whether they are for large screen, small screen, high res, small hands, etc etc, and then the user chooses?

Anyway, just an off the cuff thought, obviously it's entirely up to you!

Cheers,
Matt.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2013, 11:52:25 pm »
This is why people can make their own skins. ;)

-Thom

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2013, 12:35:59 am »
This is why people can make their own skins. ;)

-Thom

I was dipping my oar in regarding the qOrbiter guts really, but you do make a good point, perhaps I will.  :)

Cheers,
Matt.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2013, 02:28:09 am »
Interesting. Tell me to mind my own business, but...

In a world where resolutions on phones are getting bigger and bigger, and the phones themselves are getting bigger (these silly "phablets" for example), and then there's 7" tablets which I can barely use for anything and would clearly benefit from a 'small screen style' skin, how on Earth are you going to keep up with it?

Perhaps a skin that is too small and fiddly for a ham-fisted person with sausages for fingers to use effectively, is absolutely fine for another. Could the skin names themselves state whether they are for large screen, small screen, high res, small hands, etc etc, and then the user chooses?

Anyway, just an off the cuff thought, obviously it's entirely up to you!

Cheers,
Matt.

Im not! Hehe. I intend to provide the user with:

*the ability to choose what form factor they prefer
*the default skin

On the splash screen. So there will be large screen ui's and small screen ui's. They can choose which set suits them the most.
Eventually it can be made to provide a wider range not dependant on the criteria i mentioned, but for now that how im going to roll. I do note that the skins now (should be updated) to represent in the description when switching what they are designed for.

golgoj4