Author Topic: Need some dedicated testers.  (Read 286803 times)

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Re: Need some dedicated testers.
« Reply #165 on: September 14, 2013, 09:46:53 pm »
Ok new build for Qt4 is uploaded.
Based on the poll:
Qt5 is going to be put on the backburner for now. Its main advantage was media integration. Also, it supports less devices.
The binaries actually arent the hard part so much as maintaining the UI. A lot of screens to write and it makes more sense to get a few full ones working.

The crash error was related to time code. Latest build is up, please let me know if this fixes your crash / force quit.

Thanks
Langston
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 14, 2013, 11:33:54 pm »
So far so good on my phone (SGH-i927).  It's showing me that my wife is watching 'PS3' right now.  When I go to the Audio datagrid it crashes before showing the list.  Video list worked, but dropped to the main menu a couple of times during scrolling.  I have > 1400 video files and even with sorting by attribute the lists can be _extremely_ long to navigate, any way to incorporate quick selects for the alphabet (A,B,etc) to jump to the first title in the list with that starting char, or am I just missing that somewhere?  My artists list for audio is >1400 too.  :)

Love the look of the video datagrid with the images in the background of the titles.  Very slick.

Hmm, trying to access audio datagrid caused a router reload that time. 
* phenigma didn't update qml, was I supposed to?

J.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #167 on: September 15, 2013, 01:55:04 am »
So far so good on my phone (SGH-i927).  It's showing me that my wife is watching 'PS3' right now.  When I go to the Audio datagrid it crashes before showing the list.  Video list worked, but dropped to the main menu a couple of times during scrolling.  I have > 1400 video files and even with sorting by attribute the lists can be _extremely_ long to navigate, any way to incorporate quick selects for the alphabet (A,B,etc) to jump to the first title in the list with that starting char, or am I just missing that somewhere?  My artists list for audio is >1400 too.  :)

Love the look of the video datagrid with the images in the background of the titles.  Very slick.

Hmm, trying to access audio datagrid caused a router reload that time. 
* phenigma didn't update qml, was I supposed to?

J.

Which skin are you using?
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #168 on: September 15, 2013, 02:28:37 am »
Menu button brings up filtering options
Not sure why its dropping back to the screen_1
Im abusing the hell out of mine atm to try and replicate the crash.

about 2275 video files and only 473 audio performers. I switch it to title and that about 8.5 titles, but still no disconnect.

Ill keep looking and in the meantime add a prototype for the lists.

Here is a question for everyone
*The datagrid can get everything, or certain chunks at a time
*When it gets everything (its current setting) you have to wait for everything to load before you can get to the bottom.
*If I enable the paging mechanism (its already there and active) it splits things up and you can jump around by page or letter immediately.
*Some people like one free flowing grid
*Some people like expeditions navigation

Thoughts?

WhateverFits

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Sean Walker
« Reply #169 on: September 15, 2013, 02:29:54 am »
Awesome! You nailed it perfectly. Now I can finish testing a few more areas. I noticed a few things now I'm going to see if I can replicate it.

WhateverFits

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Sean Walker
« Reply #170 on: September 15, 2013, 03:40:12 am »
Oh can you make paging an option so that we can make our own judgment or at least play with it to see which works better?

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #171 on: September 15, 2013, 03:43:26 am »
Oh can you make paging an option so that we can make our own judgment or at least play with it to see which works better?

technically it is an option at the moment i just have to make it smooth. if you have the tablet UI going, the option to change the paging is already there in the top (updated earlier this week)

I just added a way on the phone UI to jump by letter, because Phenigma had a great point: who the heck knows whats on page 847?!

Im assuming that now its not crashing when you switch to a remote?

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 15, 2013, 06:33:10 am »
Here is a question for everyone
*The datagrid can get everything, or certain chunks at a time
*When it gets everything (its current setting) you have to wait for everything to load before you can get to the bottom.
*If I enable the paging mechanism (its already there and active) it splits things up and you can jump around by page or letter immediately.
*Some people like one free flowing grid
*Some people like expeditions navigation
Thoughts?

Both.  The entire list should be able to load (titles) quickly and easily?  Then as I scroll around, or select letters to jump around, it should load the images for the most immediate items.  Essentially, don't load things unless they are with 1 or 2  scrollable screens of the currently displayed items.  Dynamic, little waiting, less transfer required as you only grab what the user is close to.  Perhaps more difficult to implement.  Am I making any sense here?   :P   It's past my bedtime.

J.

WhateverFits

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Sean Walker
« Reply #173 on: September 15, 2013, 08:56:12 am »
Not a single crash yet and I'm trying.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #174 on: September 15, 2013, 11:59:20 am »

Try HARDER! :D

LennyB

• View Profile
    • Box-Admin
Re: Re: Re: Need some dedicated testers.
« Reply #175 on: September 15, 2013, 03:14:54 pm »
Both.  The entire list should be able to load (titles) quickly and easily?  Then as I scroll around, or select letters to jump around, it should load the images for the most immediate items.  Essentially, don't load things unless they are with 1 or 2  scrollable screens of the currently displayed items.  Dynamic, little waiting, less transfer required as you only grab what the user is close to.  Perhaps more difficult to implement.  Am I making any sense here?   :P   It's past my bedtime.

J.

I think this is the same technique Androids native listview implements. The downside is that you get the scroll locking effect if assets are still loading from the core. Might be worth looking at listview to see if we can use its methodology in orbiter
The key to killing two birds with one stone is: A big stone and small birds

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #176 on: September 15, 2013, 04:29:58 pm »

thats not something i hear a lot. haha

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #177 on: September 16, 2013, 12:17:17 am »
Both.  The entire list should be able to load (titles) quickly and easily?  Then as I scroll around, or select letters to jump around, it should load the images for the most immediate items.  Essentially, don't load things unless they are with 1 or 2  scrollable screens of the currently displayed items.  Dynamic, little waiting, less transfer required as you only grab what the user is close to.  Perhaps more difficult to implement.  Am I making any sense here?   :P   It's past my bedtime.

J.

Consider on old orbiter there is a set amount. 16 and 25 i believe. So it never really loaded anything close, just what is requested next. I would love to cache the different parts, but some experimentation would need to be done because while i could manage it in qt, i think you would lose the play-all feature as it relies on the last requested grid chunk (which has an associated identifier)

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 16, 2013, 12:32:59 am »
So you're using the existing datagrid fetches?  That would explain lots to me.

J.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #179 on: September 16, 2013, 12:52:24 am »
So you're using the existing datagrid fetches?  That would explain lots to me.

J.

yessir. i wanted to see how the existing dg fit into the scheme of things.

As a side *thing* ive also been looking at how

*qorbiter could be used to bring a more robust tv channel grid to bear
*what the best way of fetching data is, and is the concept of the existing datagrids behavior something we want to keep (im not a fan of keeping). I think a new one should be made, but one that keeps the old functionality so its not a shock to the system, but provides added benefits or being targeted at a newer technology.

-langston