Author Topic: Install Hyper-V drivers on mce  (Read 4505 times)

Govo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Install Hyper-V drivers on mce
« on: August 05, 2013, 03:59:05 pm »
Hi Folks

Please advise its possible to have lmce running on hpyer -v 2012, I have installed the  software  but the networking cards dont pick up, and i think its becuase it missing  the HV_netvsc

when i add  this to sudo vi /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and complete  a reboot, the system hangs and goes no where.

please advise or advise some help .

thanks
Govo

joerod

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Install Hyper-V drivers on mce
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 05:17:44 pm »
I hate to be one of those people that make a suggest that doesnt really answer the question, but I really dont like M$ and HyperV.  Virtualbox is 100% free and will work ootb with most if not all linux distributions including ubuntu.  Use virtualbox it works great.

Govo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 05:34:16 pm »
Thanks for your reply,  virtual boxes becomes unstable when running more than 3 virtual systems, I really don't like MS either but hyper -v can run 7 virtual systems at once each with 4 GB ram applied  to them,I have a Prolaint DL385 G2 fully loaded and  I trying to save POWER cost by running my virtual systems and shutting down several of my machines i have  ruining, combing them into one, but I  can't do this if i can't run mce on this vs . so my aim is to see if its possible.

but again thanks for reply.

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 07:10:14 pm »
Running a ubuntu-based System on hyperv should be no biggie. Have you tried installing the integration services?
Besides, I love hyperv...especially since you can get a fully fledged hyperv-server edition completely for free, with clustering and so on. The downside is, that hyperv still doesn't do USB-devices.

mkbrown69

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 05:48:02 am »
Another option would be to install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on the bare metal, and use the included KVM hypervisor and virtual-manager to manage the OS's.

I run a Debian 7 (Wheezy) based KVM virtual host at home, which runs 5 VM's on a regular basis (I only have 8GB RAM in this system, so that's the limiting factor).  Works well, and I use the VirtIO drivers on everything, including LMCE and a WHS 2011 instance (which is based on Server 2008 R2).

I've had the misfortune of dealing with Hyper-V at work, and it's just a royal pain in the a$$.  Especially the drivers and their version of para-virtualization.  KVM and VMware are soooo much easier to deal with for Linux guests, and so are PowerVM and z/VM (believe it or not).

So, I'd recommend ditching Hyper-V, and laying down Ubuntu Server LTS or something like Proxmox.  You'll have a much easier time virtualization Windows on KVM than you ever will doing Linux on Hyper-V.  Especially older versions like Ubuntu 10.04.

HTH!

/Mike
(Who does virtualization as his day gig).

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 03:51:28 pm »
not to start a fruitless argument...but our hyper-v works great..looking forward to get server2012 r2
but I'd be interested to hear, what makes the others soo much easier...perhaps send me a pm?

mkbrown69

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 04:40:44 am »
,I have a Prolaint DL385 G2 fully loaded and  I trying to save POWER cost by running my virtual systems and shutting down several of my machines i have  ruining, combing them into one
Presuming this is a multi-proc Xeon based system, with 64GB of RAM or more, you can virtualize a fair number of systems.  G2's are older systems, and fairly power hungry, so depending on how many systems (and what types), you may or may not save power...

Disk I/O may be the limiting factor to how many systems you're able to virtualize.

HTH!

/Mike

mkbrown69

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 05:34:45 am »
not to start a fruitless argument...but our hyper-v works great..looking forward to get server2012 r2
but I'd be interested to hear, what makes the others soo much easier...perhaps send me a pm?
Maverick,

No worries... I don't get into flame wars over stuff.  I'll keep it in the thread, since the virtualization question comes up fairly often.  Hyper-V has it's uses and place, and I'm glad it works for you.  It'll get your teams used to all the pros and cons of virtualization, and will help develop skills and knowledge for when you grow into a real hypervisor  ;). just joshing with ya!

I'll speak from my own experiences and point of view, for what it's worth.  There's a place and purpose for all the virtualization solutions, and it's up to the consumers of those solutions to decide what works best for their particular needs.

On the provisioning front, the fact that the KVM VirtIO drivers and VMware's vmxnet3 and pvscsi drivers are included in the Kernel and the init RAM disk (initrd), means that using standard distribution media, you can pxe boot Linux instances and build/provision using a variety of orchestration tools on those hypervisors.  With Hyper-V, you either have to build a template that includes the Hyper-V para-virtualized drivers, or spin your own initrd for pxe booting.

Linux's block I/O generally outperforms Windows.  We've seen many cases of Windows performing better virtualized on Linux vs Windows on bare metal, because the virtualized instance is taking advantage of the para-virtualized hooks into the host's block I/O and disk cache.  So, in the case of Hyper-V, it's going to be limited by Window's I/O subsystems.

On the management side, the management suit for VMware is considerably more full featured than Hyper-V (and most KVM based ones as well, with the exception of the z/Enterprise suite for the z/BX blades).  Complex multi-tier applications in data centers often need a lot of policy-based rules for managing requirements and services.  Hyper-V can't handle the full gambit...
  • Host affinity rules to keep instances running on licensed hosts and processors
  • Host anti-affinity rules to keep cluster or tier members off the same hosts
  • Workload QoS
  • other OS support (Solaris x86, WinNT)
  • Stuff like Site Recovery Manager
  • scalability, like hundreds of hosts and thousands of VM's

That's just part of what we see where I am, and I deal with 5 hypervisors and 4 hardware architectures as my day gig.  My personal opinion is that Hyper-V is good for Windows on Windows virtualization, and small business/small data centre environments.  It could work for home use for those who are familiar with it, and can get the licensing at a decent price.

That's my nickel's worth...  HTH!

/Mike

Govo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 08:49:50 pm »
Hi Folks,

Thank you all for your replies, I have gone with proxmox VE and it has worked  out of the box for me.

again thanks