Author Topic: UI2 and MythTV Problems  (Read 7754 times)

avajon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
UI2 and MythTV Problems
« on: March 26, 2007, 02:21:16 pm »
hi,

first of all i wanna thank you for this great Product!!

But i also have some questions:

1.) UI2: Has anybody this UI2 running? I always get the error with the "transparency manager..." The funny thing about this error is, i had the UI2 running with the original Pluto (Version 2.0.0.44) on the exact same PC's.

2.) When i start MythTV (setup of mythtv was fine) i always get a black screen with the mouse pointer. No keys work and i can only kill this by remote with an Windows-Orbiter. I checked the log-files and i only get something like "device died..." with the device id of the mythtv-player. But i don't get an error why this device died. Any suggestion where i should look for a solution?

Yeah, that are my problems for now. This weekend i can test the EIB-stuff - i'll hope this work :-)

best wishes from vienna
avajon

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: UI2 and MythTV Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 07:01:59 pm »

1.) UI2: Has anybody this UI2 running? I always get the error with the "transparency manager..." The funny thing about this error is, i had the UI2 running with the original Pluto (Version 2.0.0.44) on the exact same PC's.

2.) When i start MythTV (setup of mythtv was fine) i always get a black screen with the mouse pointer. No keys work and i can only kill this by remote with an Windows-Orbiter. I checked the log-files and i only get something like "device died..." with the device id of the mythtv-player. But i don't get an error why this device died. Any suggestion where i should look for a solution?

I was able to get UI2 without alpha-blending working.  I was also getting the error message about the "transparency manager" not running when I tried using alpha-blending.  At one point, my video settings got all messed up.  I had to reinstall my nvidia drivers before I could get any further.  I'm not sure if the problem was related to the alpha-blending setting or one of the other settings (opengl for instance).  I'm going to try to give the alpha-blending another try.  I'm running an Athlon64 3500 with a 6600GT. I assume that's enough horsepower, but probably just barely.

I'm also getting the black screen with a cursor when I try to watch TV.  I briefly see what looks like the mythTV frontend open up and then it goes black.  I installed LinuxMCE overtop of a working MythTV .20 setup.  On a side note, the LinuxMCE installer was failing because it was trying to open mysql without supplying a root password.  To get by that I had to disable the password from phpadmin.  That allowed the MCE installer to create the tables that it needed, but it essentially broke my Myth setup.  I haven't tried to resolve that issue yet, but it concerns me.

Y1n_X1

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Install from CD issues
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 02:37:37 am »
I keep getting input/output errors on every single package, it still goes through the majority of them before an error messages comes up saying installation failed due to an inability to read from the cd. Any ideas?

John Taylor

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 12:31:52 pm »
Y1n_X1 -maybe you have a problem with the CD. Have you burned the image correctly? I have installed linux MCE on 2 systems and it worked just fine. I m sure that you have a problem with your CD or CD-ROM. Try to burn another CD. Hopefully this will solve your problem.

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 05:42:35 pm »

LMCE had been working fine for me with non-alpha blending UI2 until last night.  When I rebooted my box it brought be back to the mangled screen that we have all run into.  I tried changing back to UI1 and that didn't help, so I assumed that it must be a problem with my xorg.conf.pluto file.  I noticed that use "EDID" flag was set to false in the config.  I'm using an nvidia 6600GT and I'm connecting to a 720p LCD thru DVI.  As soon as I changed the use "EDID" flag to true it started working again.  To my surprise, I was then able to change the mode from UI1 to UI2 alpha-blending and it worked.  UI2 with alpha-blending is a 'HUGE' improvement over UI1 or the standard UI2.  The UI appears to be just as responsive as before, and the transparency of the menus is wonderful.  I'm totally pumped about this project again.

But now I'm afraid to reboot.  Does anyone know if the xorg.conf.pluto files gets regenerated with each restart?  The reason that I'm asking is that I don't understand why UI2 was working before and stopped working after I restarted.   

avajon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 10:02:35 pm »
LMCE had been working fine for me with non-alpha blending UI2 until last night.  When I rebooted my box it brought be back to the mangled screen that we have all run into.  I tried changing back to UI1 and that didn't help, so I assumed that it must be a problem with my xorg.conf.pluto file.  I noticed that use "EDID" flag was set to false in the config.  I'm using an nvidia 6600GT and I'm connecting to a 720p LCD thru DVI.  As soon as I changed the use "EDID" flag to true it started working again.  To my surprise, I was then able to change the mode from UI1 to UI2 alpha-blending and it worked.  UI2 with alpha-blending is a 'HUGE' improvement over UI1 or the standard UI2.  The UI appears to be just as responsive as before, and the transparency of the menus is wonderful.  I'm totally pumped about this project again.

But now I'm afraid to reboot.  Does anyone know if the xorg.conf.pluto files gets regenerated with each restart?  The reason that I'm asking is that I don't understand why UI2 was working before and stopped working after I restarted.

I don't know if the xorg.conf.pluto gets regenerated each restart, but i think so... The "EDID" flag didn't work with my nvidia 7600GS.  :(

cheers
avajon

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 10:50:47 pm »
Put an exit at the top of /usr/pluto/bin/XConfigure.sh and it won't touch the conf file.

You've touched on a HUGE issue.  nVidia's EDID support is all screwed up.  To make matters worse, most TV's give wrong EDID information anyway, reporting via edid to use pc resolutions like 1024x768, not tv resolutions like 1920x1080.  The reason is ce devices connected to tv's generally don't use edid; they just output 720p, 1080i, or whatever the user sets it to.  Therefore tv's generally don't bother implemeting the edid information.

That's why by default the driver is told to ignore edid.  Because in general when edid support is turned on, nVidia will switch to a pc resolution that the tv says it wants (like 1024x768), and then the tv can't display it, or displays it wrong, because what it really needs is 1280x720.

To really screw things up, around about December, nVidia fixed a major bug in their drivers causing crashes, but the ignore edid stopped working reliably.  Some guys at Pluto found a work around (forgot what it is), which i incorporated in linuxmce, and for me it's now working all the time.  But it seems this work around doesn't always work in every case. 

avajon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 11:04:03 pm »
hi,

i just found in the log files of my MD this:

Code: [Select]
03/27/07 22:42:59       Start_LocalDevices.sh (server)  Child device (56) was configured but the startup script (GeForce_or_TNT2) is not available in /usr/pluto/bin.

Maybe my UI2 don't work because there are no startup scripts? Where can i find this?

cheers
avajon

Y1n_X1

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 08:03:56 am »
Well I managed an install, went smooth as I had been hoping for. But now when I start it up I get a blank gray screen.

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 01:42:48 am »
>> Start_LocalDevices.sh (server)  Child device (56) was configured but the startup script (GeForce_or_TNT2) is not available in /usr/pluto/bin.
that's normal.  there isn't one.

i'm on yahoo/skype a lot (see the link on the home page).  I really want to get the bottom of this issue and patch it, so if somebody can show it when they find me online, that would be great.