Author Topic: Who can I help with the Mythtv 'install' package  (Read 9803 times)

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
Who can I help with the Mythtv 'install' package
« on: September 12, 2016, 02:12:01 am »
Hey guys,
I am not a programmer, but I am a problem solver.   The recent update messed up my 'tweak' on the mythtv files on my MD...   I can fix them in a few minutes, but I want to provide some feedback/input into getting it set to work correctly.

here is what I have figured out:
On the CORE, everything works great..   the /etc/mythtv/config.xml file and the /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt work great.
On the MD:  there are several things Ive noticed:
     1.    the user mythtv needs to have the same uid and gid as the CORE's mythtv user (because the home folder is a nfs mount from the core)
     2.    Each MD gets a unique <Password> in the /etc/mythtv/config.xml (by default on mythtv install i am assuming)  This <Password> can stay
            what it is, but also needs to be the same as the DBPassword in the /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt file,   AND it needs to be the same password for
            the mysql user mythtv@192.168.1.xx (MD iP address).
     3.    On any MD, the <Host> in /etc/mythtv/config.xml  and DBHostname in /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt NEEDS to be dcerouter

Note:  if the default password in /etc/mythtv/config.xml is used, it wont need to be changed in Mythtv Setup.

I can provide my files if anyone wants/needs to see them.

Hope this helps.

Dennis

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Who can I help with the Mythtv 'install' package
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 03:05:25 pm »
Forgot something.  Once mythtv user uid and gid are changed, file ownerships will need to be fixed (in /etc/mythtv)...   maybe the mythtv user should be created ahead of the install of mythbackend

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 09:21:23 pm »
I can help with script changes (if required) but cannot test as I don't have anything setup to test with.  Let me see if I can respond to a couple of points:

On the CORE, everything works great..   the /etc/mythtv/config.xml file and the /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt work great.

Good to know, thanks for verifying that.

On the MD:  there are several things Ive noticed:
     1.    the user mythtv needs to have the same uid and gid as the CORE's mythtv user (because the home folder is a nfs mount from the core)

hmm, I thought that ypserv/ypclient would be taking care of this.  That may need to be looked at to see if it's working properly or not.  The MDs *should* have all the same users as the core, at the same UID/GID.  Something in NIS may not be working properly?
**EDIT: NIS only deals with additional users, not system created users it seems. 

2.    Each MD gets a unique <Password> in the /etc/mythtv/config.xml (by default on mythtv install i am assuming)  This <Password> can stay
            what it is, but also needs to be the same as the DBPassword in the /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt file,   AND it needs to be the same password for
            the mysql user mythtv@192.168.1.xx (MD iP address).

When the pluto-mythtv-player package is installed it attempts to copy the core's config.xml and mysql.txt file, however the package is installed into a chroot and likely can't get the files initially.  We'll need to look at a way to trigger a package re-configure during firstboot of the MD or something.

3.    On any MD, the <Host> in /etc/mythtv/config.xml  and DBHostname in /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt NEEDS to be dcerouter

That is should be as it should be a duplicate of the core's file when things work as they are currently designed.

Hope this helps.

Very much.  I would ask that you open a ticket/issue in our git system so that we can reference this and track any changes related to it.  Add the above information to the ticket please.  Check the sticky at the top of the developers section on getting access to git.linuxmce.org

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 10:19:11 pm by phenigma »

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 01:04:35 am »
I will in the next few days... I'll include the above mentioned files in /etc/mythtv from CORE and MD with explanation...and hopefully some screen captures.

Just a comment from above about Host and DBHostname,  on the core I can understand local host as value, but on MDs it must be dcerouter ( or else on mythtv-setup one gets the recurring language screen, or the mythtv-backend refuses to start)

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 01:16:31 am »
Just a comment from above about Host and DBHostname,  on the core I can understand local host as value, but on MDs it must be dcerouter ( or else on mythtv-setup one gets the recurring language screen, or the mythtv-backend refuses to start)

Ok, include that info in the ticket.  It's being set in mysql.txt to dcerouter but not currently in config.xml.  Thanks for looking into this!

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 03:10:40 am »
ive got my information gathered, but I cannot find where i can get to the linuxmce github page to submit.   can someone drop a link.. i had a username generated before, but i lost all of that.  I created a new user on github.

Thanks,
Dennis

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 03:42:50 am »
We don't use github.  Our repository is available at: https://git.linuxmce.org

See the sticky in the developers forum about gaining access to it.

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 03:49:40 am »
Ah... thanks..  I thought github was part of git.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 03:49:57 am »
:)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 05:33:07 pm »
submitted issue (Issue #2703) on git.linuxmce.org this morning.

Dennis

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 11:31:57 pm »
Thanks!  As soon as I have a few minutes I'll take a look.