Author Topic: Video output out of range after install mce packages  (Read 5340 times)

Nulkoud

• First post!
    • View Profile
Video output out of range after install mce packages
« on: March 29, 2007, 12:15:38 am »
Hi all,

I've got a problem with installing the MCE packages in Ubuntu. I installed a clean system with Ubuntu 6.10. After that I updated all packages that needs a update. After that I install the MCE packages with the installer, but when my pc reboots my monitor gives the warning that the video is out of range. I tried another monitor (CRT instead a LCD) but that one gives the same error. I checke my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file but the resolutions I find in there seems to be ok (800x600, 1024x768, etc.)
Can somebody tell me how I can get my video back? On the moment the command lines are the only working screens

thanks in advance..

ps:It has worked a few days ago, but I reinstalled the system because I set in another tv-capture card. The installation of the first time hasn't gone well too. I had the same problems as I have now, but after a few reboots the problem was gone!(didn't changed anything)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 12:19:24 am by Nulkoud »

prussiap

• View Profile
Re: Video output out of range after install mce packages
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 03:42:54 am »
funny i have the same problem and it seems others too.. no idea.. i got it working a ocuple of days ago but ithink that's form rebooting enough time or a fluke

i reinstalled because i wanted a hybrid core.. now none of my monitors work.. tv. .lcd or crt.. i can access from teh web but without the ability to create a user i can't change the resolution on the device remotely..

ugh..

any help would be nice.

dGV

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 01:40:05 am »
> i can access from teh web but without the ability to create a user i can't change the resolution on the device remotely..

When you access the admin page and there's no users, it should prompt you to create one.  You could also add one manually by adding a record in teh database pluto_main, table Users, and then Installation_Users (see table Installation for the pk_installation).

elmor

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 11:48:40 pm »
Here's how I fixed it:

1. Ctrl+Alt+F2 and log in
2. Type: sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.pluto
3. Reboot

Somehow the MCE installation seems to forget to create this file.

Want2UseMCE

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 07:19:34 am »
This happened to me as well, and I was able to get around it by plugging the video card into my TV.  Apparently, the installation program will expect your monitor to handle a refresh rate equal to what a TV uses (54 or 60 Hz, depending).  The xorg.conf.pluto file does not exist at this point, since the A/V wizard is currently running and is waiting for input.  You can't see it because your monitor can't handle the current resolution and refresh rate.  Once you finish the wizard, that file is created.

cleggett

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 01:41:29 pm »
Here's how I fixed it:

1. Ctrl+Alt+F2 and log in
2. Type: sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.pluto
3. Reboot

Somehow the MCE installation seems to forget to create this file.

These instructions worked for me except, for some reason I was not able to CTRL+ALT+F2 to get to another console so what I did was rebooted into Knoppix (or another similar Linux Live CD) and (re)mounted the Hard Drive's filesystem read/write and then copied the /etc/X11/xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.pluto.

When I rebooted back into Ubuntu (LinuxMCE), I was able to see my display.