Author Topic: controllable thermostat less than 5" wide?  (Read 10854 times)

pmowry911

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
controllable thermostat less than 5" wide?
« on: July 09, 2013, 01:37:20 am »
Good day,
  Out of not wanting to go up stairs to turn down the thermostat all the time I want to get in to home automation.  My problem is where the thermostat is located I only have 5" between the molding around 2 doors (one to a room, the other to the HVAC unit itself).  I'm having no luck finding a z-wave thermostat that with fit in the space I have to work with, so I was hoping someone hear could make a suggestion.  I have not purchased anything yet, so if something not-z-wave would fit, please let me know what controller I could use as well.

Thank you,

-Patrick

WhateverFits

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Sean Walker
Re: controllable thermostat less than 5" wide?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 07:55:45 pm »
Nest is pretty small. 3.2" across and 1.26" deep.

http://www.nest.com/inside-and-out/

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 11:35:11 pm »
Unfortunately, Nest is not supported, and I don't think the protocol has been reverse engineered enough to have LinuxMCE control it.

-Thom

pmowry911

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 03:18:44 am »
Nest is pretty small. 3.2" across and 1.26" deep.

The size would be perfect, but I do want to use MCE to coordinate it to work with other devices.  Like way off in the future motorized blinds or space heaters in the few rooms being used.

Thank you again for the suggestion.

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 05:21:59 am »
My suggestion is manipulate the space.  A good finish carpenter with a good selection of router bits can cut into the molding of each vertical piece and refinish the cut out to look intentional.  It's pretty common in older homes when switches were added after construction.

Alternatively, could a z-wave thermostat be mounted inside the HVAC closet?  If your orbiter controls it there is no real reason to get to its display.  In my home the 2gig thermostat is fairly hidden behind a door that is almost always left open and in the main hallway where the old thermostat was mounted is a cradled WebDT. 

I set that orbiter to "Hallway" as a room, and created over a dozen scenes that only appear when in room 'hallway.' 

Entire house climate scenes: 65, 70, +1, -1.
Hallway scenes: 65, 66, 67, 68, etc...,  heat, cool, fan on, fan auto, +1, -1,

Custom scenes I have tried but couldn't get going: energy save heat, energy save cool.  Where the 2-stage unit uses its slow response mode to slowly reach a temperature.
I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 06:06:22 pm »
What size is the Danfoss Z-Wave thermostate?

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 07:52:45 pm »
the Filtrete 3M-50 is about 7 inches, so that wont fit

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 05:33:15 pm »
Are you US or EU based?
If US have a browse through these http://products.z-wavealliance.org/regions/2/categories/10/products

If you are EU based the Horstmann units should fit your space.

-Coley.

WhateverFits

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Sean Walker
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 09:33:34 pm »
I saw this:
http://www.wiredprairie.us/blog/index.php/archives/1754

It looks like it communicates with the Nest servers not directly with the Nest device though.

pmowry911

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 06:53:44 pm »
Thanks for the help.
  I've found model TZ43 that is 5”x3”x3/4” from Residential Control Systems Inc, and ordered one online for $175 US. If it does not fit or I don't like the look I'll try a 2-piece unit instead.

As for looks, the Honeywell WiFi Smart Thermostat RTH9580WF looks perfect from a size and form factor, but I don't see API info on their WiFi protocol to see if it would have the same issues as the nest.

Thanks again,

-Patrick

Edit:  In case anyone comes across this thread.  The Manufacturer web site said 5x3x3/4, but the specs in the product sheet are 6x4x3/4, and actual size is 5-3/4 x 3-15/16 x 1/2.  I contacted RCS to ask them to correct it.  It does overlap, but it does not look bad.  I' gonna keep it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:46:00 pm by pmowry911 »

mkbrown69

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 07:50:40 pm »
As for looks, the Honeywell WiFi Smart Thermostat RTH9580WF looks perfect from a size and form factor, but I don't see API info on their WiFi protocol to see if it would have the same issues as the nest.

From what I've seen around the net, the Honeywell has a proprietary protocol, and may require you to create an account for the more advanced features on the Tstat.  At least, you have to create an account to use the mobile apps.  http://wifithermostat.com/Products/WiFiSmartThermostat/

I recently bought the Radio Thermostat CT-80, which is less pretty than the Honeywell, but more capable with an open API (IMHO).  It's bigger than the 5" you were looking for.

HTH!

/Mike