Author Topic: Plug and play detection - Rii wireless keyboard template [resolved]  (Read 3677 times)

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
Hi Everyone

Have been trying to build a device template for my Rii mini i8 wireless keyboard. This is a brilliant little remote that works so well out of the box - can basically do everything required and I haven't charged the thing since I bought it so it hardly uses any battery.

Anyway, the reason I wanted to build a device template was to try to use the special "media" keys. There is a pause/play, skip forward/back, vol up, vol down and mute button that would be really useful when playing media. Of course I can use the UI2 on-screen gyro-type controls by using the touch-pad pointer but single-buttons are bit more controllable and would be great to be able to use them.

So I built the template according to some wiki instructions but it hasn't been auto-detected and added to my Orbiter yet. I used "lsusb" to get the vendor/id and put this in the pNp part of the template but still, nothing seems to be detected either on boot/reboot/reload or anything like that. Odd. Not at my machine at the moment, will post the template later as a screenshot, but I was wondering how to go about troubleshooting the plug and play detection. Is it the HAL device? Should I look through those logs or others?

Any suggestions? (specifically for USB - devices).

cheers
James
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 09:50:36 am by jamo »

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
Rest of template attached.

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
Ha ha... I take it back, autodetect works.... sweet. I was looking in the wrong place. Silly tit... I was looking under the MD rather than under the onscreen orbiter in the device tree. Now to see if the media keys work.....

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
OK, plug and play sorted. Getting the media keys running is another story. Time to branch threads. Closing this one as resolved.

Exebat

• View Profile
Re: Plug and play detection - Rii wireless keyboard template [resolved]
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 12:25:28 pm »
thx for this.. i have a similar device, now i will map those keys aswell

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Plug and play detection - Rii wireless keyboard template [resolved]
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 06:54:54 pm »
xev is a wonderful tool to help find keys. If the keys are recognized by X, then they will most likely be processable by Orbiter without having to go through GenericHIDInterface.

To use, open a shell somewhere, either over ssh, or in the KDE desktop and run xev.

then start hitting keys on the device, you should see output in the console. Of value is the keycode. Is one generated for each of the keys you wish to map?

-Thom