Author Topic: Core continually "finds" hard drive.  (Read 3052 times)

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Core continually "finds" hard drive.
« on: July 04, 2013, 03:57:31 am »
New install of 10.04, One hybrid core, one MD.  Everything runs fine except about every 15 minutes I get the box in the upper left corner of my core that says "Done installing device.... /sda1 1.81TB etc" for the hard drive that it's installed on.

Any suggestions?

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Core continually "finds" hard drive.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 11:45:49 am »
Allow me to try and explain based on my understanding.  If there are technical points described without complete accuracy someone with better familiarity will need to correct me.  I can resolve the notification issue however.

LMCE does not keep media partitions mounted.  Part of the radar that detects new drives does an occasional /mount (performs checks?) and then /umount.  So far as I understand it, you may test to verify, a partition needs to be mounted in order for xine/mplayer to read from it.  While doing playback of a movie known to exist on that drive do you still see the notice every 15 minutes?

To change notifications for individual orbiters, there is a setting in webadmin>orbiters>advanced which from memory is simply called "notifications."  There are no tips for this input to display all options but choices I have discovered are:

All
Important
-I assume there is a null/0/none/off setting but I haven't found it.

On my WebDT, weborbiter2 devices and theater setting on-screen orbiters I use "important" though a zero setting would be ideal.  For the onscreen orbiter of my hybrid (which is a 23" desktop monitor) I prefer the all setting as I am kept up on system workings, the downloading of new packages etc, when I am presumably more able/willing to make corrections or adjustments if necessary.

*I reread your post and wanted to ask specifically how you told LMCE to use the 1.83TB(-install size).  Most of my core setups have used smaller disks for boot/OS and larger disks for media.  I may again be wrong but my understanding here is that "all on one drive" setups would bottleneck streaming content to MDs while trying to copy a DVD on another MD and manage database read/writes all at the same time.
I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 05:09:41 pm »
Thank you for the reply.

I do not see the notification while playing media.  As to the disk size, during the install I just chose the option to use the entire 2TB disk in the system.  As my system consists of the Hybrid which I rarely watch media on and one MD with half a dozen zwave light controls, I've never seen any performance problems so I've never bothered to explore speed optimization.

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 08:18:32 pm »
I don't think that's 100% correct. I would say 50%

Mounting and unmounting is done on demand.... correct, but I'm pretty sure discovery doesn't work the same way and once a drive is discovered you shouldn't keep seeing it showing up in messages every 15min or whatever. I think that is an error. I even think I've had something similar and others have too and I'm sure if you search the forum with the right search phrases you'll find it.

Hope I haven't added to the confusion.

If I recall correctly the script that does the detection is StorageDevices_Radar.sh or something like that and it basically runs every so often to scan for new drives.  It's quite well commented and if you know something about shell scripting you can potentially figure out what is going on in there.