Author Topic: 3-Way Z-wave Switch: Help me sync LEDs  (Read 4462 times)

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
3-Way Z-wave Switch: Help me sync LEDs
« on: June 18, 2013, 07:08:08 am »
I'm trying to setup a 3-way switch with zwave.  I have one in-wall dimmer module (connected to load) and one in-wall remote switch (associated to the dimmer module).

The dimmer module doesn't support associations so I need to find a way to sync the led status lights between the two units when the dimmer module is manipulated.

I'm hoping it can be done with events.  So far I've tried "a device is turned on and off" and "a sensor is tripped" in the respond to event wizard. Neither seemed to fire on switch presses. I'm toying in advanced events, but clearly I'm missing some requisite knowledge of the event system because I'm having no luck. I'll keep researching, but if any of you could nudge me in the right direction it'd be much appreciated!

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: 3-Way Z-wave Switch: Help me sync LEDs
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 07:43:00 am »
Looking in the Zwave log, it appears that pressing the dimmer control does not cause the dimmer to notify the core... is there no way to force this behavior? or is it up to the core to poll the dimmer to get its state?

If so, it seems I can't have an instant sync. Can I, however, trigger on an event that occurs when the core polls the dimmer and discovers that it's state is different than it's old state?

I tried triggering with state changed in advanced event editor to no avail but the Zwave log gives:

Code: [Select]
36      06/18/13 1:35:56.064            Got basic report from node 15, value: 99 <0xb6f92b70>
36      06/18/13 1:35:56.064            State changed, send light changed event <0xb6f92b70>
36      06/18/13 1:35:56.064            Sending EVENT_State_Changed_CONST event from node 15/-1, level 100 <0xb6f92b70>

Though I'm triggering with "ON" not "100" or "99". Hmm

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 05:16:46 am »
Now I have need of this functionality for a 2nd reason:

I have a bathroom fan hooked up to a Z-wave ON/OFF switch. I want the system to automatically turn it off after 30 minutes. To do this i need an event that will trigger when polling reveals the switch has changed state.

Since I'm at a loss for how to do this, I'm writing a background service which will constantly poll the mysql database for state changes on this device, and after 30 mins will send the appropriate MessageSend.

PLEASE stop me if there's an easier way :)

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 10:30:01 pm »
look at the sleep command in the CORE

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 10:34:23 pm »
look at the sleep command in the CORE

Delay you mean? That part i've got a handle on.

The larger problem is that I can't trigger on a Z-wave switch's state change event

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 11:00:56 pm »
that should work.. the zwave driver should emit a state changed event
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation