Author Topic: Workshop Video: How are devices made plug and play?  (Read 4114 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Workshop Video: How are devices made plug and play?
« on: July 15, 2013, 03:53:13 pm »
Hey Guys,

I decided to make a video after doing a number of patches to the system so that the built in media director SimplePhone, could not only use a specific sound card, for making calls and playing rings, but that the Plug and Play detection for the Phoenix Solo USB could be debugged and made to work correctly in all cases, leveraging the knowledge I've gained over the last 4 years, since I initially added the device.

The video goes through the following points:

* What device data I added to the SimplePhone device template
* The code I needed to add to SimplePhone to use this device data, and tell SimplePhone to use the sound card.
* How the plug and play section works, with regards to matching specific devices, utilizing the right device data, bringing along with it the needed device data for the Configuration script.
* How to pass this to a Configuration script, so that additional functionality can be done when a device is added to the system, in this case, inserting device data into SimplePhone to explicitly set the sound card to the new Phoenix Solo mic that was just added.

This is intended to be an introduction into the Plug and Play section, and hopefully spur questions and give me direction as to what more videos to make.

Hopefully this is educational, until next time.
-Thom

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Workshop Video: How are devices made plug and play?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 10:28:20 pm »
Did..anybody watch this?

-Thom

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 11:45:56 pm »
Yes, it will probably be very helpful when I get a 1204 setup running, but waiting for qorbiter and lmce's new DVD to start.  Still want to build a sirius xm plugin...

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 11:56:04 pm »
Cool, break out a thread so we can talk :) maybe I Can help answer some questions.

-Thom