Author Topic: Z-wave plugin module - security light issue  (Read 3831 times)

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
Z-wave plugin module - security light issue
« on: May 06, 2013, 11:38:55 pm »
I have a motion security light which plugs in to a standard wall socket, to which I have now added a z-wave plugin module.

However the light doesn't turn off! Is LMCE and/or the Z-wave controller doing something to the plug-in module that prevents the light from turning off?

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Z-wave plugin module - security light issue
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 11:41:41 pm »
I had an odd similar issue with one Z-wave module that supported load detection.  My guess would be that like the Z-wave module, the security light needs constant power to keep its detection circuitry alive.  This draw could be telling the module that local power (via Amp draw) is requested.

I am fairly familiar with some of your other projects so will recommend getting a meter and experimenting/testing to see how much draw the light needs.  Perhaps there is a way in the zwave-api to turn off certain features like local load switching? 

To get around it another way you could use the zwave module to turn off a relay placed between the devices.  Wired normally open this would allow you to kill attached devices regardless of any 'leaked-power' they try and pull.  Good Luck.
I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 01:36:34 pm »
I have a motion security light which plugs in to a standard wall socket, to which I have now added a z-wave plugin module.

However the light doesn't turn off! Is LMCE and/or the Z-wave controller doing something to the plug-in module that prevents the light from turning off?

Cheers,
Matt.
what plugin module is that?

Did you check the logs for any errors?
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 03:24:45 pm »
what plugin module is that?

Did you check the logs for any errors?

The plugin module is this one http://www.uk-automation.co.uk/products/Z-Wave-Appliance-plug-by-TKBHome.html

I didn't check the logs for errors, I will report back if I try again. The operation of the module itself seemed to be fine, it was just the light wasn't behaving as expected.

I had an odd similar issue with one Z-wave module that supported load detection.  My guess would be that like the Z-wave module, the security light needs constant power to keep its detection circuitry alive.  This draw could be telling the module that local power (via Amp draw) is requested.

I am fairly familiar with some of your other projects so will recommend getting a meter and experimenting/testing to see how much draw the light needs.  Perhaps there is a way in the zwave-api to turn off certain features like local load switching? 

To get around it another way you could use the zwave module to turn off a relay placed between the devices.  Wired normally open this would allow you to kill attached devices regardless of any 'leaked-power' they try and pull.  Good Luck.

Yes I wondered if it was something like that, basically keeping the light on. I also had a similar thought about relays/switches. Not sure what that would look like though, might not end up looking that elegant.

I have now removed the plugin module, and the light doesn't turn off properly now anyway! I don't know if the plug-in module fried/damaged something in the light. It's no biggie, these lights are going to be replaced anyway, this was just a stop gap until such a time. Maybe I should consider a z-wave PIR module and use a "normal" light on a z-wave switch, then I can have complete control over dimming, security mode, etc.

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps