Author Topic: Experienced User seeks dev assisting work  (Read 3722 times)

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
Experienced User seeks dev assisting work
« on: March 20, 2013, 02:27:56 pm »
I doubt I require much introduction...

My first linuxmce experience was 7.04, if my math is not too far off that would be approximately 5.5 years ago.  I have taken several breaks from regular forum interaction but for the most part have maintained some form of working system all of this time.  Due primarily to my financial limitations I have dug probably quite a bit deeper into the inner workings of the project in attempts to do the unsupported or use ancient hardware.  I have donated on occasion, gone through periods of heavy testing and reporting, skinned, wiki updating, etc, but I do not feel I have contributed at all compared to the massive effort this project requires.

Parcel delivery depending, this week will mark an important milestorm for me.  With the delivery of my z-wave thermostat I will have finally populated all of the major orbiter rows, and with a little more time to troubleshoot my VOIP account should be able to place my first call using my recently delivered cisco 7970.  Future expansion of my system at this point is limited by my available gig ports and the lack of any true need to expand beyond 4 AV rooms, 3 audio areas, and a scattering of other lights, security, climate, automation devices.

I am ready to contribute. 

I have coding skills...   My experience with linuxmce as I said has been a lot of figuring things out that others (without backgrounds in programing) might not have bothered with.  I have put together very rudimentary scripts and made them exicutible using googled bash commands,  I now own several books on programing that I am very clear on the systematic result orientated mindset of C++.  In other words I know what I want a program to do, I know the input and the output, I understand how to define the necessary formulas (and possibly databases to store and recall portions).  Regretably though I can not make the progression into programing.  Possibly beyond the unfamiliar commands, I become stuck in command thinking when I am faced with addressing hardware via hardware.  Yes, a keyboard is input & a monitor is output, depending on the keypress a circuit is closed on specific pins of a chip that understand NO becoming NC means the user pressed "a".  To then imagine that input as a value which can be added to the screen, combined to string an instruction or anything else just makes my head spin.

I would require so much assistance in completing basic development that my participation could actually decrease productivity on the project.  This is my limitiation and my honest approach to offering my assistance, if through continued breakthroughs that changes I will happily mention so and take on a few time-consuming tasks to free you gentlemen up.  In the meantime though I am able to assist in any way possible and request that to come to me for anything you feel I am capable of assisting with.  Even to use me as a whiteboard or to get my opinion on appearance or possible avenues for improvements.

Thank you all once again for the years of hard work that has given me such enjoyment.  I look forward to becoming more of an asset to the project were able.

jeremy mcdiarmid 
I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.

onezeno

• First post!
    • View Profile
Re: Experienced User seeks dev assisting work
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 04:19:50 am »
Hey Jeremy,

I just found out about this OS today.  I plan to build a home theater / automation myself.  I am a software engineer at a company that makes security system hardware.  In fact, I sit in on code reviews for the guy who maintains our Z-Wave controller.  I might be interested in collaborating with you in development.  Let me know if you're interested.

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Experienced User seeks dev assisting work
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 10:00:46 am »
I am a dreamer and a builder.  In fact the modest small business that pays for my food is just that.  Hardware, perhaps a recommendation of a OS (or host OS) and I try to cut things off there.  The point of my thread was that I am willing to take on tasks that would benefit the real code writers by having it off the table, such as research etc.

Feel free to message me with anything you have as I am typically up for a challenge.  Rereading your thread I highly, strongly, adamantly suggest you talk with some of our developers.  Build yourself a test box, or VM household and then stroll over to the wiki and youtube videos.  I think you might be astonished at all that so few code writers have done here. 

Welcome to LMCE

I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.