General > Users

Getting Media From Windows Shares

(1/4) > >>

Vizeo:
I just got LinuxMCE up and running. I am trying to test it's cababilities with my existing media that I have on a windows XP share before I make the plung and switch everything to LinuxMCE. However I can't seem to figure out how to access the files in my windows shares.

What settings do i need to change in windows or where can i add username and password information to LinuxMCE so that it can see my shares.

I am about as familiar with linux as i am with brain surgery so please be discriptive.

Drice:
I am not a linux guru either but I saw this on the wiki.

Short to say create a directory on the windows share.
Make a network mount to that share in the directory structure explained below

--- Quote ---If you want to add more storage you can map drives under those directories. For example, if you have another 2TB drive array that you want to use for both public music and your private movies, create 2 directories on that array, let's say: public_music and john_movies. Using a network mount, or a symlinc to a network mount, create a folder such as /home/public/data/music/my_2TB_nas that maps to public_music and /home/user_xxxx/data/movies/my_2TB_nas that maps to john_movies.

--- End quote ---

http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/How_are_media_files_organized%3F

Vizeo:
Is mounting the only way for LinuxMCE to access windows shares. From what I know of linux that means anytime I restart the computer I have to remount the shares.

Drice:
You can put an entry in /etc/fstab to automatically mount at startup

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?s=5be2bd6aed81f07728c6ec81a270f5e1&showtopic=475119&pid=587664405&st=0&#entry587664405

asgard:
The steps that linuxmce takes to add widows shares to the system goes like this:

- Scans the network to find active samba (windows shares) servers and prompts the use about the detected ones
- If the user choses to use that add that computer as a 'file server' that a device is created (device template 1837) in the database for that computer
- After the 'File Server' device is added it automatically runs the configuration script for that device: "/usr/pluto/bin/Configure_1837.sh -d <DEVICE ID>" where <DEVICE ID> is the device id of the newly created 'file server' device. You can look for in the web admin interface to see which device id coresopnds to it.
- The configuration script for device template 1837 (File Server) is searching for active shares on that computer and prompts the user to see if he wants to access those shares from LinuxMCE.
- For each share that the user chose to use, a new device is created (Window Share / device template 1768)

Now since the configuration script for device 'File Server' is executed only once, when the device was added, you will need to manually run it once again to detect shares created on the computer after that moment. The correct method would be to use the 'Reconfigure device' checkbox from web admin and do a reload router, but you can also run the configuration file by hand from a console passing the correct device id.

Using fstab to mount is not the proper way to do it since you will lose all the advantages of a pluto device:
 - automount so you don't need to manually mount and remount it every time the file server restarts
 - get the share available on the core and every media director that you have in the sytem, not on only one location
 - integration with the linuxmce media directory structure

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Sitemap 
Go to full version