Author Topic: Re: Endless Symbolic Link (SOLVED)  (Read 10391 times)

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Endless Symbolic Link (SOLVED)
« on: March 31, 2013, 03:28:06 am »
Dear Friends,  Im a little bit lost on how LMCE manages filesystems.  
Some Time ago I started working with 1004, when I migrated from 810, I decided to change a little bit the structure and use a  small SSD as system disk and a hardware raid 5 for /home
LMCE detect it as a new hard drive (I don't know why) so it is added in the list of devices.  The problem is that, now I have the symb link that creates a endless loop because it points to itself.  This is creating me some issues with the autodetection of media and I have repeated movies and songs.  This of course is happening for all the users since the "new drive" was selected to use LMCE structure.
Any way to correct this?
The problem becomes more evident as more files I add to the system.  This is also possible to see when copying files from windows, check image attached (From the content you can clearly see that this is my daughter's spot!  :P )

Any hints are welcome.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 02:56:16 pm by tompin2 »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Endless Symbolic Link
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 06:04:04 am »
hmm.

*thwap-you-really-hard*

Don't mess with the basic filesystems, you will break the storage layer epically. (Why is it that power Linux users have the hardest time with this system? you guys just want to break things because you assume how things work without actually studying how they work!)

Keep /home on the boot system, and simply let the system detect the RAID 5 disk, and tell it to use the disk with LMCE file structure. You'll need to move /home off of that disk, and then let the storage layer correct itself. This should also show you NOT to fuck with fstab.

-Thom

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 10:31:36 am »
Thom is right...I did that once too and got those loops...only thing left to do was reinstall

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 02:02:07 pm »
hmm.

*thwap-you-really-hard*

Don't mess with the basic filesystems, you will break the storage layer epically. (Why is it that power Linux users have the hardest time with this system? you guys just want to break things because you assume how things work without actually studying how they work!)

Keep /home on the boot system, and simply let the system detect the RAID 5 disk, and tell it to use the disk with LMCE file structure. You'll need to move /home off of that disk, and then let the storage layer correct itself. This should also show you NOT to fuck with fstab.

-Thom

Hi Thom,  ;D :D  :-X hahahahahhahahaha!!! Thanks for your words of wisdom.  There should be a " What not to do" Section @ the wiki!!!  8).  I'll work on it and see how it goes!.  I might take all out and start from scratch .  That could put me on the death list of my daughter and wife but if I fix it quick enough they might not notice

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 04:25:47 am »
Ok I think I fix it without re installation.

Fix fstab by commenting the /home that was pointing to the hardware raid, deleted the device that represented the raid drive.  After the reboot it was almost all good.

Linuxmce user had some missing files due to I used the raid has home for looong time.  I cp all the files that where at the now /mnt/devices/xxx/home/linuxmce to /home/linuxmce and voila!! now I was good to go to kde desktop.  Also, don't forget to delete the symbolic links within the users and public that pointed to the raid again and again.

Everything "looks" clean now except the database!

Resync did not fix it but auto tagging did!! 
I have to check anyway for all the files.  Just for curiosity, Is there a way to drop and rebuild the database?

Cheers,

TP

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 04:52:03 am »
Ha!!! disregard the previous Post!!!.  On the webadmin all looks perfect, but in real life, there are no thumnails, regardless of what says on the webadmin, and none of the videos work.

Anyone that knows how to drop the database and start from scratch??

Cheers,

TP

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 01:41:18 pm »
Anyone that knows how to drop the database and start from scratch??
That would be here: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Phenigma#Re-initialize_the_Media_Database

-Coley.

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 05:49:57 pm »
That would be here: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Phenigma#Re-initialize_the_Media_Database

-Coley.

Thanks Coley!!!, Ill give it a try tonight!!!!  Ill keep all posted!

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 03:50:10 am »
Not Working!!! :'(
If I copy the video's to the local hard drive, they work, but if I copy them to the raid (/mnt/devices/128/  public or user_1 or anywhere, nothing happens.  Before you shoot me in the head.  I would love to understand what is going on.  Which log file should I check before asking for more help.
I'm already thinking on using plan B.  Remove all files, from the raid. reconfig raid device and put them back.
But probably it is something fairly easy and Im willing to try to solve it!

Cheers,

TP
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 04:23:45 am by tompin2 »

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 04:45:43 pm »
In the webadmin device tree, find your share.  Check the field PK_User (I think), what is it set for?  It should normally be set for LMCE structure (something like that).  Sorry about being vague, I'm not at a system right now to verify these settings.

You should never access your drive through /mnt/device/128.

Always access files through /home/public/data/audio/<device>/ or /home/public/data/video/<device>/ , etc.

J.

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 02:53:48 am »
In the webadmin device tree, find your share.  Check the field PK_User (I think), what is it set for?  It should normally be set for LMCE structure (something like that).  Sorry about being vague, I'm not at a system right now to verify these settings.

You should never access your drive through /mnt/device/128.

Always access files through /home/public/data/audio/<device>/ or /home/public/data/video/<device>/ , etc.

J.

Hi Phenigma,

Thanks for your help, I checked and it is already selected to LMCE structure.  I always access the files via /home, It was just to mention the real path, but thanks anyways for the guidance. 
Any hints.?

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 02:49:16 pm »
Okay, had to mention it :) 

When you got to /home/public/data/video/ do you see a link there for your device?  or just an empty directory?

Try running /usr/pluto/bin/StorageDevices_Symlinks.sh and see what the output is.

J.

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 02:54:36 pm »
Dear Friends.... I ended up doing it the "easy" way.  I took all the media out.  Cleaned the RAID, mkfs, waited until the beautiful blue box  at the orbiter asking me to add the drive, LMCE structure, put the files back.  It is interesting to mention that the first time, i used gparted to make the FS and did not worked, the drive was there but it was undetectable by LMCE.  I think that it used something else than normal ext2 or 3.  Tried again at the shell and voila!  (#mkfs /dev/sdb1/ ) .  I followed the "adding a new hard drive" @ the wiki of LMCE, worked perfectly.

Thanks again for all you help,

Cheers,

TP

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 07:55:41 pm »
Glad to hear it is all working now!

J.

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 04:40:54 am »
Hello to all,

I am just finding on the way that there were some consequences, Sara's videos are gone!!! I forgot to back'em up hahahahahaha, and maybe many other things.  Also mythtv is not working I don't know why.  uPNP server is giving an erro code 500 which I have no idea what it is or if it is related or not.  Everything else seems to be good.

Cheers,

T