Author Topic: Erratic telecom behaviour under 10.04 (only my Cisco products work)  (Read 4484 times)

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
The complexity of the entire telecom portion of LinuxMCE has always floored me.  When over the years an issue that affected a lot of asterisk/FreePBX hit the forums I would try to follow along but quickly would become confused and lost in the menus and settings necessary to make a call.  About 2 years ago I began paying for VOIP service and continued to pay for over 12 months without ever placing or receiving a single call.  I have at best been able to make one on-screen orbiter ring another,  but the moment I try to pick it up I get a "call dropped, normal clearing".  I have tried IP phones, ATAs, softphones, hardphones, orbiter embedded, usb mics, headsets, 3.5mm desktop microphones all to no avail.

Meanwhile during this time the VOIP experience has become so commonplace and easy everywhere else that I canceled my cell service and use wifi apps to handle all of my calling/SMS needs.  Watch a 30 second ad on my iPhone and earn 2 minutes of calling.  In an hour or so at my desk reaching over and tapping 'watch videos" every few minutes when I think about it gets me 60+ minutes of calling to any number.  As I am often experimenting and looking at VMs running different OSs and packages I am amazed at how difficult it is to "not" make a call.  I obviously am making something too difficult but can not understand where.  Is the telecom plugin that configuration and user input dependent?  Below is my setup that I would guess is pretty standard fair.

One hybrid - orbiter embedded phone
Two media directors - each with orbiter embedded
3-4 different DNS services I keep giving money to even though they can not provide me DNS service.
LinuxMCE is behind a router that my ISP provides. Firewall disabled, no custom port configurations or forwardings
One Cisco 7970
One Cisco 7905
One Budgetone 100 (previous voip provider issued, Grandstream is the make)
One Sipura2000
Cisco Mobile iOS
Google Talk #
Google Voice account
Text + account (iOS app I mentioned earlier)
... 5 years worth of accounts, hardware, passwords, registrations etc...

Problems.

Web-Admin/Phone Lines/ shows my voipcheap account enabled but alternates between not-registered, request and I forget the other.  I do not have any other phone # so when I registered with VoipCheap I gave my roommate's cell.  I do not know if that is my voipcheap number now, or if its +1(area code) 9(areacode).  I have found two different guides here and on the wiki that give conflicting information about what to put in the ATA configuration fields for authorization yes/no and user id.  Am I supposed to put the extension of the softphone or the voip provider info?

7970 when calling any extension or *## gets a busy signal
7905 gets a loud ringing noise the instant I lift the receiver (device removed as I suspect it may be damaged)
cisco mobile app can call the 7970 though I can only answer by using the softbuttons (or picking it up), attempts to use the orbiter drop the call.  This app is also the only device under phones that is capable of reaching my voicemail box.
Softphones (connected through various FXO equipped modems or ATAs) all get a dial tone but go to a busy signal after attempting any call.  2-3 attempted calls results in the loud screeching noise that I have only been able to clear with a reload.
The mobile iOS device status continually enters a "RUN_CONFIG" status where it becomes unuseable.  My IP for this device is on the 192.168.80 network and was assigned by dcerouter.  It may be a coincidence but I notice more problems after I return home, almost like this device not being ping-able causes an issue?

**Admins please feel free to move this post if you feel it is better suited for help wanted**

This is not an area I am able to troubleshoot and could really use some help on this.  My roommates are growing tired of "I am working on it", or "someday you will be able to get calls right here on the tv!"  If my problems can be narrowed to 2-3 most likely causes I will jump on any suggested hardware or service providers, I will even wipe my installation and start from step one if needed.  If need be, "yes" I am willing to offer some compensation as I am not aware of any major telecom bugs for other users...
I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Erratic telecom behaviour under 10.04 (only my Cisco products work)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 08:38:09 am »
Further broken but I was due for a reinstall so pushed this repair some.

I re-ran the setup wizard after not hearing any response from VoipCheap about what information they need to register my account.  On their site my phone number is listed with + preceeding the 10 digit.  When I put that into lmce web-admin it just sits there with no status field for several days.  If I type my 10 digit then it goes to "request" for two days until it goes blank again.

I re-ran the sara house portion of the setup wizard and since VoipCheap is not listed there selected Broadvoice.  My hope was that some missing phone packages could be found since I had never had a phone subscription to enter at that step originally.

After the reload router, all of my phone lines went to blank status.  (I have 8 lines listed with different information such as my username instead of auth.user or phonenumber.)
My 7970 no longer registers.  I can get to the orbiter but a refreshing message at the bottom says "Registration Rejected: Unknown Device", a **#** does not clear the problem and neither has deleting the phone and the SEP<mac>.conf.xml for redetection.

Can anyone point me to a current telecom guru or wiki article.  Most mention free PBX and as I stated in the above one says that the settings are different in 10.04 and where once auth.user was always NO it is now required to be YES.

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 11:38:21 am »
I wanted to thank Foxi for making some changes on the LMCE Wiki and providing some instructions for updating the 7970 firmware.  I am confused however about the web-admin mention of a firmware field in 12.04. 

According to the wiki mainpage 12.04 is not yet installable.  Are there alternate packages 10.04 installed users can pull down that would allow access to similar features?

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 05:01:29 am »
After much reading it seems some users have had moderate success moving their 10.04 installation to 12.04.  Is it possible that in the movement towards 12.04 that something for the 7970 under 10.04 was removed?

I break a lot of things but this was a working one day, not working the next with a status message of "Registration Rejected, unknown device" and a incorrect date setting of 2006.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 05:08:27 pm »
I wanted to thank Foxi for making some changes on the LMCE Wiki and providing some instructions for updating the 7970 firmware.  I am confused however about the web-admin mention of a firmware field in 12.04. 

According to the wiki mainpage 12.04 is not yet installable.  Are there alternate packages 10.04 installed users can pull down that would allow access to similar features?

The 1204 work is not backported atm.  1204 has become 'installable' (such as it is) in the last week.  Keep in mind that 'installable' does not mean functional.  There is nothing that has been done towards 1204 that would have affected telecom on 1004 to my knowledge.

If you have any logs that can be posted it may help to track the issue.  Again, I am only soon to start using lmce telecom so my knowledge is limited in this area.

J.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 05:55:15 pm »
The good news is, foxi is back in town, and will probably look at open telecom tickets...

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 03:07:28 am »
I have seen Foxi's wiki and forum activity and am also happy to see him back.

I am planning a core upgrade so once I install the latest final 10.04 on a clean system I will ticket any existing problems.  There are some unsupported conditions on my current system that could be affecting things.  My /tftpboot/ folder for example has about two dozen misc firmware files plus the typical xml.defaults.

In another week or so with other expected setup issues I plan to reinstall my telecom items and would like to modify some of the creation scripts to generate folders like the setup_diskless does.  If I get these modified .pl and .sh files working clean I will submit them.  How does the following sound?

/tftpboot/
/tftpboot/<md ##>
/tftpboot/<md ##>
/tftpboot/Cisco_Phones/
/tftpboot/Cisco_Phones/Firmware_Files/

By default at the moment the only things that I know create entries into this location are: the MD creation process, Cisco Mobile phone creation and Cisco 7### creation process.  Are there other scripts that would need to be modified which may be looking for entries in this location?   Thank you for looking at this issue.