Author Topic: Building Dynamic Orbiters with JSON/AJAX/HTML5  (Read 32258 times)

WhateverFits

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Sean Walker
Re: Building Dynamic Orbiters with JSON/AJAX/HTML5
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2013, 09:20:05 pm »
I personally love the concept of using JSON/JSON-RPC for doing this as I've been doing web development for more years than I care to admit. It is ridiculously simple to implement clients for it and I can make my own integration services based upon any number of technologies. This is excellent. However, I've seen interfaces done wrong more than once and that made dealing with it a living hell.

My only problem at this point with LinuxMCE development has been getting a full development environment up and running to work on a small piece of code. I don't have the time to devote to getting a full dev environment going but I can contribute small things here and there like supporting new devices, etc. So, how would I quickly set up something to work with this project?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2013, 09:25:15 pm »
Read Developing a DCE Device, in the wiki.

-Thom

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
  • Linux and LinuxMCE witchdoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2013, 09:31:41 pm »
My plan is to port the AgoControl schema functionality to LinuxMCE. It shouldn't need any changes, but I'm yet to learn it. After that, whatever gets written should work on both simultaneously (fingers crossed).

WhateverFits

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Sean Walker
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2013, 11:51:13 pm »
So Thom, you are saying this should just be a device in LinuxMCE that services JSON/JSON-RPC requests? Cool! Hmmm...

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 11:53:21 pm »
Such a device would actually be a plugin, so it could have access to the data structures of the other plugins.

-Thom

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 03:20:11 pm »
I personally love the concept of using JSON/JSON-RPC for doing this as I've been doing web development for more years than I care to admit. It is ridiculously simple to implement clients for it and I can make my own integration services based upon any number of technologies. This is excellent. However, I've seen interfaces done wrong more than once and that made dealing with it a living hell.

My only problem at this point with LinuxMCE development has been getting a full development environment up and running to work on a small piece of code. I don't have the time to devote to getting a full dev environment going but I can contribute small things here and there like supporting new devices, etc. So, how would I quickly set up something to work with this project?

Your welcome to get involved at the Core/NC end if you'd like to or at the client end of things using your Web development skills. Post to this thread if you have ideas or questions etc.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

WhateverFits

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Sean Walker
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2013, 06:08:59 pm »
Your welcome to get involved at the Core/NC end if you'd like to or at the client end of things using your Web development skills. Post to this thread if you have ideas or questions etc.

All the best

Andrew

I'd like to get involved in both sides of that. I'll look at the plugin stuff as Thom mentioned. I've never looked at that type of code. Do I need a full development tree configured for this or can I just download the proper libs and etc. to get going?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2013, 07:13:14 pm »
Grab the source tree, and do what is specified in developing a dce device.

-Thom

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2013, 05:00:46 pm »
Soooo, did anything happen in the past month or so?

WhateverFits

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Sean Walker
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2013, 06:47:07 am »
I've pulled down a dev tree and started poking around at DCE devices. I think the hardest concept is the actual layout of the requests and responses. I'm learning how the DCE stuff seems to work and have been having some fun writing a bunch of my own devices for everything I own. Anyone else?

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2013, 02:25:17 am »
Soooo, did anything happen in the past month or so?

Of course not. That would go against our collective beliefs. :)

But just today I got a brilliant (for various definitions of "brilliant") idea that will probably become useful. I'm thinking of extending the "Execute Command Group" command that the DCERouter can handle to include user-specified and server-specified variables, a la Orbiter's SubstituteVariables.

Here's how it looks like:

You have a scenario that says "MH Play Media" with a parameter called "Entertainment Area" that has a value of "<%=E%>". That would normally be substituted by either OrbiterGen or the Orbiter (not sure which, don't want to check right now) to form a proper command.

So... I want to do this:

Execute Command:
PK_CommandGroup = 1
Variables: C:EA=2, where C is for "Client", EA is for "Entertainment area"

but also be able to use a S:IP variable in the scenario should I need it for whatever reason, where S is for Server, and IP is the Core's IP address.

Another potential variable that crossed my mind: S:MyEA - where the client just doesn't want to bother with looking up its own EA or Room, for various reasons (like it's not very economical for it, but really cheap on the Core).

An Orbiter would be able to operate sans-OrbiterGen, using only "Execute Command Group". You'd probably lay it out by dragging scenarios from a palette on the side or something. The Orbiter would be one way until a back channel is implemented (shouldn't be that hard if you know where to look and write a very generic data source counterpart of "Execute Command Group" - if there isn't one already of course).

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2013, 09:21:27 am »
afaik nobody knows about the EA I am in, other than myself. And for example iOrbiter, just forms the regular DCE command to be send to the router.

What I am trying to say is: In the above scenario I fail to see the advantage of variable substitution. But I only have had a single cup of java so far, so might miss the obvious.

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2013, 01:57:17 pm »
Well... that idea came out of something else really. I'm going to abuse these light switches to trigger scenarios. Variable substitution is serious overkill on the client side (Whisperer) and they never change EAs once configured. While thinking how to do this, this crossed my mind: "dude, these switches are like tiny fixed-layout Orbiters".

All this because otherwise I'd have to add about 9 of these, with 9 scenarios each, and the prospect of RSI doesn't please me :)

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2013, 09:37:06 pm »
Progress is always associated with lazyness.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2013, 01:31:00 pm »
some progress on the ago control side. We've settled onto a MVC approach via ember js and jquery. It also supports templates and other nice things. Gumby is used for the appearance. Communication is done viai JSON-RPC. Getting the inventory (aka device list and stuff™), sending commands and receiving live status updates works fine so far. Still a lot of work to do but hey this is brand new, very hot, and will receive a lot love over the next weeks and months.
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation