Author Topic: switched from computer screen to my plasma & no video  (Read 5265 times)

cperk4

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
switched from computer screen to my plasma & no video
« on: March 08, 2013, 11:08:01 pm »
mce is fully installed and works when on computer screen.  i initially sintalled while using the same tv but reinstalled for reasons and used a computer monitor. now i want back on my hd tv.  i have tried editing in orbitor, but nothing happens when i click av settings or whatever it says,  no command lines work to rerun av wizard.  when i boot from tv i see the initial booting seq. but then nothing.  i have also tried selecting the av option on mce while plugged into monitor and when it reboots i switch back to hdmi, and only see the dell, boot screen.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 12:02:52 am by cperk4 »

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: switched from computer screen to my plasma & no video
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 03:07:29 am »
/usr/pluto/bin/RebootWithAVWizard.sh

Orbiter/Advanced/AV Setup Wizard

hold shift after the machine beeps during boot,  this is a touch tricky as you need to press it before the second set of beeps.

In web-admin, enter RECONFIGURE_DEVICE "**RUN_CONFIG**" under status.  I believe this will force a redetect at start up and notice the display change.

Alternatively I have been able with Nvidia cards to set up twinview displays and set up an LCD as a second (mirrored) display on DVI-2.  With this setting the MD was outputing video to two locations constantly and I just switched inputs to bring up the image.  Once configured I could unplug either display and continue to view it on the other.  

*Edited by ArmorGnome to change the reconfig status
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 03:13:59 am by Armor Gnome »
I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.

cperk4

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 04:38:09 am »
i have tried the usr/pluto/bin/RebootWithAVWizard.sh with no success.  when i hold shift it brings me to the menu listed below

ubuntu, with linux 2.6.32-45-generic
ubuntu, with linux 2.6.32-45-generic (recovery mode)
memory test bla bla
memery test bla bla bla

then says move up or down and enter to boot, e to edit, and c for command line but it only takes me to grub command line which is where i have types the above usr that you suggested.

my graphics card is nvidia with hdmi, vga and i think hdmi with sound but either way still having problems. any suggestions with that info?  thanks a bunch.  in the mean time i will try the RUN_CONFIG option.

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 09:55:58 pm »
sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.con*
reboot

Make sure TV is the only thing plugged in. Will pop up at avwiz. You cannot just run that script and expect it to work.
I never quit... I just ping out.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 02:14:14 am »
If RebootWithAvWizard no longer works reliably, then the script needs to be changed, so that it will. The "Video Res Setup" button in the Advanced menu calls this script. Let's please fix this, so we don't have to do this manually!

-Thom

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 05:42:29 pm »
It does work... it appears not to work when AVWiz crashes.

This problem is likely due to the problem I created with conflicting nvidia install info.

I did not read his statement properly. I thought he tried to manually run /usr/pluto/bin/AVWizard_Run.sh
That was what I was referring to "not expecting to work" running on its own.

So... What I would advise is... become root and:

apt-get remove --purge *nvidia*
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
rm /etc/X11/xorg.con*
reboot

This assumes you are on an nvidia chipset.
On update, it did all of this automagically on its own... but I did not have 2 versions of the driver installed. This is best to start over.

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 06:25:20 am »
Following both this thread and the wiki instructions on the AV Wizard.

I am having a hard time with a MD that uses an add on graphics card but has onboard graphics.  Onboard is VGA only.  Add on card is DVI and S-video, the S-video is what I need and why I am in this situation with two cards.

On first boot the MD skipped AV Wizard, xorg.conf has never existed so I can not follow the wiki guide to change the pci-id I want to use.  I am now at the delete and reconnect MD stage because I am lost on how to create a xorg.conf when nothing exists.

If the motherboard does not allow me to jumper out onboard graphics, how should I have my cables configured on first boot? 

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 10:01:56 pm »
I wrote logic to figure all this out... it is simply untested in its current state.

What happens when detecting graphics, is that if more than one card exists, it breaks them down, figures out what they are, and rank them based on my arbitrary scale of which is "better". It calls this Best_Video_Card. When avwiz hits, it takes this ranked card and converts its busID to a base 10 address and writes it to the temporary xorg.conf as the thing to use.

I would really need your help to figure out why it isn't working as I expect. Any chance you can drop into IRC and ping L3xxx in there?

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 12:01:52 am »
Sure.

I am needing to rearrange some cables on my core first though.  To have easy access to pastebin I need to be at my core, which is currently set up in a closet with a racked monitor.

Something that would really help in the interim though would be a location where I can find a temporary xorg.conf?  I have through web-admin up sized my orbiter to fill a screen and got sound working via asound.conf but I with no /etc/X11/xorg.conf I can't move the output to S-video.  With it functioning as it is it is obviously writing setting data somewhere outside of /etc/X11.