Author Topic: remote  (Read 3987 times)

iberium

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Innovative Sight & Sound
remote
« on: April 20, 2013, 09:09:57 pm »
I have several URC remotes just sitting around.  I have the base station also that have serial control.  I would like to program them like I do other automation systems in that on your main page you just select watch cable, bluray, etc.  and it runs the macro and goes to the control page.  In Savant, the macro would send a string like "room_cable_box_1_power_on" which would tell the system to turn on that room to cable.  Then I would just send in commands like "volume_up", etc for control.  Is there a specification for this or a driver that allows control in this fashion.  I would basically like to be able to call scenarios either by serial input or by mapping ir codes.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: remote
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 12:30:13 am »
If there is a protocol that these devices use, then a DCE device can be made for them that uses IRReceiverBase, to translate messages appropriately.

-Thom

iberium

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 02:14:53 am »
The protocol can be anything that I tell it,  they are one way serial for the most part and I can have them send any serial string that is needed.  They can also send ir or ip.  Basically, I just map a button on the remote to a command and that command can be anything (ir hex, rs232 ascii or binary, or ip).

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 02:17:00 am »
You may want to read the Developing a DCE device page on the wiki, and then read the GSD, and Generic Serial Device pages on the wiki, as well.

-Thom

iberium

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 02:24:00 am »
if i do a gsd device,  is there a way to call a scenario into play?  every room where i have a remote would have different scenarios, and once a scenario is fired, does it automatically know that when it for instance get the volume up command that it would be for that room or is there more under the hood programming required.  i could set this up as a standard ir remote,  im just not sure if its possible to map an ir function to call a scenario.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 04:50:23 am »
To do more advanced programming like what you would want, and to do it automatically, you would need to make an Orbiter.

Orbiters register themselves with the Orbiter Plugin using Device Registered, and at that point, get all sorts of information, such as the status of each user, etc..

Orbiters then send commands to different devices, such as the media plugin, to do things like change the volume in a room (this is derived from the room the orbiter is currently set to, and the media plugin then traverses the appropriate pipes to do the right thing.).

Of course, any DCE device can manually send commands to the target device, you just have to form the right message, and then use SendCommand() to send it off. Look at Developing a DCE Device.

-Thom