Author Topic: 10.04 Install issue  (Read 15478 times)

ggmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 10.04 Install issue [SOLVED]
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 07:14:23 pm »
I bought a Geforce GT 610 Video Card to try and avoid the issues I've been running into, now I get "Failed to setup X" on startup, I'm poking in the dark, but I did this so far;

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
apt-get -y install --reinstall xserver-xorg-core --force-yes
rm /etc/X11/xorg.con*
reboot

Still the same result, if anyone has an idea please chime in...

ggmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 06:22:00 pm »
Just as a running log in hopes this may help someone along the way, I re-installed the entire system (10.04) using the NVidia card but I could not get sound out of the HDMI so I went back and tried the HDMI connector on the mobo which also is not giving me a good UI as Video files do not play correctly and when they do show there is no way to stop them, fast forward, etc...

Other issues, Insteon is slow to set up and I cannot get the 7970 Phone orbiter to show up...

Kind of stuck....

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 06:12:37 pm »
are you able to disable your motherboard graphics adapter completely? If yes, do you, and see if removing xorg* and re-running avwizard helps.

ggmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 02:43:59 am »
I did disable the onboard video, but it did not seem to help, no audio, and the playback on videos was not working correctly, I was trying to build a low-power and quiet Hybrid/Core, but I may have chosen my hardware unwisely...

ggmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 10.04 Install issue
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 11:27:24 pm »
Further update; returned the Nvidia GT 610 card as I could not get sound out of HDMI, did a re-install (10.04) off the DVD, but the graphics are still not working correctly.

I believe the issue is with the "Radeon HD 7000-series graphics (DX11) integrated with the APU" which is part of my mobo, no matter what I try I cannot get the system graphics correct so this must be the issue. I have the "fglrx* drivers installed on my system, but maybe the HD 7000 is not supported. Just wanted to keep this up to date in case someone else has this hardware.

I've searched on adding the correct driver, and I tried what is illustrated on this page; 

http://ubuntuxtreme.com/news/amd-catalyst-13-2-beta-3-driver-up-to-300-performance/

but no dice, I'll keep hunting and report back if I meet with success

ggmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 07:04:39 pm »
Further update,

I got to work on the system again, so I wiped everything off and started with a clean install. After the initial setup (not running any commands) I chose Alpha Blending (the Test worked) and got through Sara. At that point I could see the flickr pictures and the pointer when I moved the mouse, but could not see the menus (only a momentary flash if I clicked the mouse)..

Then I did as l3mce instructed;

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get -y remove --purge fglrx* --force-yes
apt-get -y install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri --force-yes
rm /etc/X11/xorg.con*
reboot

From then on, I could not get any graphics to work (not even Static Images; all tests just show a grey background)

If anyone has any suggestions, please chime in....

ggmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2013, 06:25:18 am »
Is there anyone else with a similar setup that has their system running well? I'm happy with the Hybrid/Core build sunce it is low power and quiet, but if I can't get things working I may need to scrap this and go with something else...

AMD A10
Gigabyte GA-F2A8585X-UP4 (Radeon HD 7000-series graphics (DX11) integrated with the APU)

ggmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 10:31:35 pm »
Just tried with the new 1004 release, same results, initial install did the test for alpha-blending which worked. When I got to the home-screen, the flickr images were showing and I could move the cursor with the mouse, but I had the same issue, could not get to any of the menus.

I did the following;

apt-get update
         apt-get upgrade
         apt-get -y remove --purge fglrx* --force-yes
         apt-get -y install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri --force-yes
         rm /etc/X11/xorg.con*
         reboot

After reboot, I only get a grey screen with an arrow , even with "Static Images"

Any ideas would be appreciated

ggmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 02:55:17 pm »
Just as an FYI to others, I tried installing XBMC since I could not get MCE working, and it hangs on install, so anyone building a Core/Hybrid will want to stay away from the setup I came up with.....

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2013, 07:23:22 pm »
Man, you probably gonna hate me for this....I saw you had a geforce 610 and returned it, because you didn't get sound via hdmi.
You probably didn't see this: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php/topic,13245.msg96050.html#msg96050
I also have this card in my core/hybrid and couldn't get sound via hdmi...turns out its just a kernel update needed. I'm not sure if this will still help you.
But I'm really sorry I didn't see this earlier.

ggmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2013, 07:34:14 pm »
Thanks for the information, I might have a go at it again....

GG