Author Topic: 10.04 Install issue  (Read 15479 times)

ggmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
10.04 Install issue
« on: March 09, 2013, 01:08:02 am »
I've finally taken the plunge and installed MCE 10.04. I got "Failed to setup X" when I tried the DVD install, so I followed the instructions on installing over Kubuntu and it worked. I got through the AV Wizard and saw Sarah, when I rebooted it goes right into flickr on the background, I get a cursor with 4 arrows that I can move around with my mouse, but I cannot get to anything else.

I looked for a way to get to something else during boot up but have not had any luck.

My Core is using

AMD A10
Gigabyte GA-F2A8585X-UP4
Using the onboard HDMI to a Samsung Display

When I click the mouse or hit some of the Function keys I can get a flash of something in the background that looks like the menu

Thanks for any help,

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:13:22 pm by ggmce »

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: 10.04 Install issue
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 06:08:08 pm »
You will probably want to use the dvd installer. I just found a bunch of jumbled nvidia install stuff and fixed it. That is probably at fault here. Please give me the output of lspci -nn | grep VGA

I would, as root:
apt-get update
apt-get -yf upgrade
apt-get remove --purge *nvidia*
rm /etc/X11/xorg.con*
reboot

You should end up at AVWizard. Sorry if this was my doing.
I never quit... I just ping out.

ggmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 06:54:37 pm »
Are you kidding? no need for sorry, I'm thankful for the efforts on this project, I wish I knew how to code to help...

One question though, how do I get to anything other than the Flickr art? When the computer boots up it goes right into the flickr background with the arrows. I'm not a Linux pro, so I'm not sure what to do to get around this..

Thanks again...

l3mce

• View Profile

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 05:50:26 pm »
When the computer boots up it goes right into the flickr background with the arrows. I'm not a Linux pro, so I'm not sure what to do to get around this..

Thanks again...

I think that is one of the purpose of the system, Playing media all the time when there is noting going on. I think its cool feature.

ggmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 10.04 Install issue [SOLVED]
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 10:33:06 pm »
I believe the issue in this case was due to incorrect resolution during AV setup, in searching the forums I found a hint that that resolution might be the culprit. I re-ran AV Wizard and chose a lower resolution..

Now I can get to the buttons on the screen, thanks for the help!

Now onto Insteon setup.....

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 08:48:30 am »
One question though, how do I get to anything other than the Flickr art? When the computer boots up it goes right into the flickr background with the arrows. I'm not a Linux pro, so I'm not sure what to do to get around this..
I think what ggmce meant was- how do I get to a command prompt to run the commands that l3mce suggested. I don't think he wanted to know how to change the screensaver at this stage ;-)

For future reference- you should be able to drop to a terminal by pressing ctrl-F2. That should present you with a terminal where you can log in with your normal username and then "su -i" to become root.

ggmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 03:20:15 pm »
Thanks! I will try that in the future.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 01:12:09 am »
If not in a VM, it would be ctrl + alt + f2

Again... if there is an existing (probably broken) /etc/X11/xorg.conf you will not be able to setup how you wish... everything will be blown. rm /etc/X11/xorg.con*

This will start you fresh, reboot and you will be at AVWizard, and you can test the resolutions properly, with no odd sizing. It simply will not display a resolution it cannot display. If your TV cannot do 1080p then it wont... you will simply fall back to the native resolution after 15 seconds of trying.

If your TV is 1080p capable, chances are your GPU is too at this point.

There is a test button in AVWizard at UI selection... Use it.

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 07:18:16 am »
If not in a VM, it would be ctrl + alt + f2
Of course, forgot the alt.

What's wrong with me, I used to be so precise.
I mean lucid. Precise will come.

ggmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 07:41:01 pm »
OK, thanks for the information, I cleared out my xorg.con* file, AV wizard starts again, and I tried several resolutions. My display is connected via HDMI and it is capable of 1080p, but when I try higher resolutions the menu does not show up again, it must be something with the GPU. I'll keep fooling around with it and report back my findings. I also may opt for a dedicated Graphics card and try it that way.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 10:24:00 pm »
ggmce... Can you please give me the output of lspci -nn | grep VGA

ggmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 04:57:47 am »
Pardon my ignorance, but I think I got it (I had a tough time finding the vertical line, it shows up as a broken line, but I got something...)

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Trinity [Radeon HD 7660D] [1002:9901]

I know from the forums that NVidia is the way to go for LinuxMCE, but I had seen on the Forums that support for Radeon was working. Maybe I just need to get an NVidia card...only issue is that I don't have my capture or tuning card(s) yet and then I won't have room on my mobo. I may not need this as a Hybrid, ideally if the Android stick computers could work as a Media Director, but not sure about any progress in that direction.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 05:12:18 am by ggmce »

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 11:45:29 pm »
Ok... well... finished adding support just recently, and expect that upgrading isn't getting it done.

First of all... do yourself a favor and ssh into this thing on the internal network. Then you don't have to squint through lines like you are trying to see boobs on scrambled cable. You can also copy and paste all this stuff.

Code: [Select]
apt-cache policy fglrx | grep stall
uname -r

If fglrx installed version does not read 2:9.002-0ubuntu1 OR if uname -r does not read 2.6.38-16-generic (or -generic-pae)
You are going to want to do the following...
Code: [Select]
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get -y remove --purge fglrx* --force-yes
apt-get -y install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri --force-yes
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
apt-get -y install --reinstall xserver-xorg-core --force-yes
rm /etc/X11/xorg.con*
reboot

It will then upgrade your kernel (could take a while... you can press esc at the penguin load screen to see what it is doing), reboot, put you on the ati driver we like, reboot, and drop you at avwizard.

ggmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 01:42:33 pm »
Had go for scrambled boobs as I learn how to use ssh...

My uname value was not as you specified, so I ran the commands, the first time I tried I typed "libgl1" incorrectly (thought it was "eleven" on the end) got a message that libg11 package was not found (of course) and then would just get a grey background after going through the AV Wizard.

I realized my mistake this morning, so I re-ran everything but I still get the grey background, none of the tests following UI choice show anything but a black arrow on a grey background.

I may have broke this by not getting libgl1 correct the first time...