Author Topic: AV Receiver repeatedly detected (Yamaha RX-V1700)  (Read 4429 times)

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
AV Receiver repeatedly detected (Yamaha RX-V1700)
« on: March 05, 2013, 05:34:25 am »
Found a screaming deal on a Yamaha RX-V1700 with HDMI switching, so I'm replacing my old Denon AVR-3805. I'm using a null serial cable (not a USB adapter) to connect. After a few minutes, the pnp script starts searching to see what has been added. It correctly identifies the Yamaha and the wizard starts. After the router reloads I can go into webadmin and send commands to the receiver. But then the pnp script starts up again, so the receiver is effectively stuck in installation limbo. Any ideas about what's going on?

Twodogs
http://greenrenovation.wordpress.com/home-automation/
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
SYBA SY-PCI15001 6-port serial card
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101
Cisco SPA3102 analog telephone adapter
Cisco 7971G IP phone/orbiter

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: AV Receiver repeatedly detected (Yamaha RX-V1700)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 05:58:30 am »
I had a similar issue with null cable connection to my TV.  The recommendation I heard was to go to web-admin/media director/ and check "don't detect serial ports", or try with a USB to Serial cable.

On my most recent install the issue resolved after I fully set it up in web-admin, after it was detected.  In total there were about 4 places you need to assign the ttyS port.  It should show up in AV Equipment and Generic Serial Devices (at least) and both locations might not have the port defined?
I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 07:26:57 am »
Thanks for those suggestions. I did not know about the "dont detect serial ports" option. Good info.

However...

The only way I've been able to send commands to the receiver is to install with the script. I have just enough time (before the next PNP script activation) to open webadmin, select the device, and send a command or two. Oddly, even though the receiver works, the template says "please select" in the comm port box (in both the AV and GSD device. When I select ttyS0 and update the template, then I find that the GSD template has been automatically updated with ttyS0. But after issuing a reload router, the Yamaha no longer responds to commands.

Next I tried the "don't detect serial port" option. I added the GSD manually, but again the Yamaha does not respond.
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101
Cisco 7971G IP phone/orbiter

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 12:42:54 am »
There is one additional script I found but can not recall its name at the moment, perhaps you have some time to hunt for it or another user knows about it:

/usr/Pluto/bin/ xxSerialxx

SetSerialports, detectserial, plutoserialupdate,  something like that ...
I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 05:02:47 am »
I've been digging around in the documentation.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/How_to_add_your_own_GSD_device

If your Ruby code contains an error, LinuxMCE may decide to disable the device. So, check that your device is not disabled: on Wizard-->Devices-->Generic Serial Devices click on "Advanced" for your device and make sure the Disabled box is NOT ticked. If it is, untick it, save, and do a quick reload of the router.

Turns out the device was disabled. I guess that might mean an error in the ruby code on the template. Unticking the box and reloading the router allows me to send commands to the device. I'll have to get it off my test bench, plug things in and see if it is completely functioning now.
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101