Author Topic: dhcp not working properly?  (Read 6253 times)

Esperanto

• Guru
    • View Profile
dhcp not working properly?
« on: January 19, 2013, 09:01:20 am »
I would like to use DHCP to get a IP address from my ISP since unfortunately I cannot get a fixed IP address. However when I turn on dhcp (Advanced > Network > Network settings > 1. External network card eth0, IP4: DHCP) I get 127.0.0.1 as the first nameserver (Nameserver #1:)  which stops dns to function properly. LMCE also passes the 127.0.0.1 on to the clients connected so they also get a faulty dns configuration. In trac it is set as a 'feature request' ( http://trac.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/1606 ) but shouldnt dhcp not be able to break lmce since its such a basic requirement?

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
Re: dhcp not working properly?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 07:21:37 pm »
I dont have a static IP address from my ISP and mine works?  you may just want to power cycle everything core, modem, etc and see if this rights itself

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 04:45:31 am »
You have a network feeding the core?
I never quit... I just ping out.

Esperanto

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 09:36:48 am »
I don't have a modem, just internet cable directly into my core and on the other nic I have my local network (basic setup I suppose). The ISP IS sending me the localhost address since this is in the leasefile:
option domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1,193.8.10.10,193.8.1.1;

This works on a client and also on a normal router but LMCE uses the 127.0.0.1 as the main dns server so all dns stops working. A simple filter there would do I suppose but I have no idea where to add that properly.

any suggestions?

Esperanto

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 07:44:48 pm »
this bug is still active in 10.04 final

I still had to manually made the changes described in http://trac.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/1606#comment:3

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 01:48:56 am »
I don't have a modem, just internet cable directly into my core and on the other nic I have my local network (basic setup I suppose). The ISP IS sending me the localhost address since this is in the leasefile:
option domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1,193.8.10.10,193.8.1.1;

any suggestions?

Tell your isp to fix the dns numbers they are sending you.  This is not an lmce problem that I can see.

J.

Esperanto

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 08:13:42 pm »
Tell your isp to fix the dns numbers they are sending you.  This is not an lmce problem that I can see.

it works properly on windows, mac and a normal linux install... it breaks stuff on linuxmce. you really think that an ISP will give a F#$% about someone running linuxmce? Such things should not break linuxmce even if it is bad from an ISP.

mhorst

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 11:27:30 pm »
The lease file on my core also contains 127.0.0.1, but I have no problems.

My LinuxMCE core is running a DNS server (bind), which was installed by LinuxMCE by default; it allows me to use a hostnames like dcerouter in my browser to access the webadmin.
So the 127.0.0.1 in your lease file is probably not coming from your ISP, and it should not be the root cause of your problems.

Are you sure the clients on your internal network also have 127.0.0.1 as their DNS server? In my setup they have 192.168.80.1, i.e. the core as their DNS resolver. (My MDs have static configurations and have 192.168.80.1 in their /etc/resolv.conf, and "ipconfig /all" on my windows machine also shows 192.168.80.1 as the DNS server.)

If your MDs and other machines have 127.0.0.1, then there is something truly messed up with your (DHCP server) config on your core.
If they have 192.168.80.1 then there is likely a problem with bind on your core; check if it is installed and running.
I think the latter case is more likely.

Having said that, if you want to prevent the 127.0.0.1 from appearing in the leases file, you could try removing the "prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;" from your /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf file. Note: I have not tested this, and I don't know what other problems this might cause.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 06:11:18 pm »
as dhcpd.conf is rewritten whenever you add a new device, it is not really feasible to manually edit that file.

esperanto: modify dhcpd.conf in /etc/dhcp/ and in /etc/dhcp3/ and change 127.0.0.1 in the zone LinuxMCE. { bracket. Also change it in /usr/pluto/templates/dhcpd.conf.template. Restart dhcp server (or just restart the core), and see if that fixes your problem.