Author Topic: [Solved] Generic USB gamepad - mirrors remote?  (Read 6419 times)

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
[Solved] Generic USB gamepad - mirrors remote?
« on: February 26, 2013, 12:41:29 am »
I have on one of my media directors the following USB devices properly working.  I believe my issue may be with button mapping or with improper installation due to multiple gamepads being connected.

Gyration GY3101 USB remote dongle
USB Bluetooth Dongle (not currently paired with anything)
USB-UIRT 0038 - sending IR to Sony STR-K850 Receiver
Serial1 - connects to Sharp Aquos TV via RS-232

Connected a USB wired (GameStop branded) Xbox 360 controller.  I found the analogs to be far to sensitive for gameplay so I detached the gamepad and deleted the device.

A mistake was made here as I didn't reload router.

I then connected a "USB GAMEPAD" Gamers Factory model G60310A.
My issue now is that the gamepad behaves like a remote and I can not remap buttons in a fashion that does not bring up my onscreen UI.  While I imagine I could play Atari games that only need 1 command button, I am unable to play anything that requires a second.  "Jump" button bringing up the UI, etc.

I am willing to help any way that I can by either creating a specific template and PnP detection range for this model or experiment with usb_gamepad button mapping.  Meanwhile though I am looking to purchase a 2 or 3 button gamepad to enjoy the older systems that did not include analog joysticks and need of advanced features like accelerometers and 10+ triggers.  Would someone please recommend one, or an adapter I could use to connect any of my retro controllers via USB.  Quite literally I have over 30 different retro game systems with the original controllers in my personal collection.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 03:26:39 am by Armor Gnome »
I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: [Solved] Generic USB gamepad - mirrors remote?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 03:30:23 am »
I noticed that USB-gamepad(radar?) created two devices.  I left USB Gamepad alone as it says it controllers all other gamepads and was marked as one per PC.  The second item "USB Gamepad Remote" I marked as disabled, deleted configuration data and reloaded.

This gives me the desired effect of fast media searching via gyration remote (gy3101) and use of all gamepad buttons for gameplay without bringing up the menus.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 07:44:31 pm »
Hi Armorgnome,

The game pad should not be taking you back to the menus,etc. while you are playing a game.  This issue is, I believe, related to an issue I'm tracing with CMD_Set_Screen_Type not being fired to remote devices properly.  This command re-maps all the buttons when you change menus/enter game_player.  But is not doing that properly right now.  I hope to have a solution to this within the week.

Jason.

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 10:31:35 pm »
It will be easy enough for me to undo my work around and apply any fix you come up with.  If you are chasing down an issue I can get you any of my logs you might need. 

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 01:44:09 am »
On your MD that you are trying to use the game pad with can you try this .deb and let me know if it fixes the issue you were having.  Thanks!

Code: [Select]
wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/118201886/pluto-orbiter_2.0.0.45.13022727209_i386.deb
dpkg -i pluto-orbiter_2.0.0.45.13022727209_i386.deb

J.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 05:21:14 am »
Is this happening on your core or an MD or both?

J.

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 10:23:56 pm »
MD.

I will test it on my hybrid for you but the core/hybrid has an unsupported video card arrangement that even if game player functions under, may give you atypical results to your patch...

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 12:27:43 am »
Lets keep this to the machine you're having issues with.

The game pad should not be treated as a remote while game_player is running.  This could be due to lack of a device template (with default button mappings causing you issue) or it could be because Set_Screen_Type commands are not reaching each of your IR devices.

The issue I am tracing is the multiple 'IR' devices that you have connected to the MD machine (3101, UIRT, Game_Pad, yes they are all 'IR category' devices).  And whether or not appropriate 'Set Screen Type' commands are reaching all of the devices.

Can you pastebin your DCERouter.log from just a bit before you launch game_player and up until you are utilizing the game pad?

J.

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 12:43:05 am »
Doing some settings backups now.  Hopefully I can catch you in IRC as I am not too familiar with tail commands it looks like I am going to need to use. 

Backup > delete current gamepad from device tree > reconnect gamepad > execute the patch from above via ssh > hop on IRC to make sure I am tailing correctly. 

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 04:40:57 am »
Okay, a couple questions. 

Was this the game pad that you were using to navigate and select from the menu?  Or something else?
Is this the machine that has the 3101 and the gamepad and the UIRT?

I only see a single Set_Screen_Type command being sent to the UIRT device.

J.

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 05:41:53 am »
No problem.

The log I sent was of this action.  On the MD with the 3101 and the UIRT:

Follow DCERouter begins
Navigate menus using gamepad
Begin playing game
Press what is normally mapped to mess C button.
onscreen menu comes up.
Press it again and menu goes away, repeat several times.
Press power off on GYR3101
Disconnect gamepad
Copy log to .txt file