Author Topic: are kubuntu updates still present after mce installation?  (Read 2654 times)

cperk4

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
are kubuntu updates still present after mce installation?
« on: February 13, 2013, 02:04:28 am »
ok, so i downloaded and installed kubuntu 12.4 and ran all the sudo updates and everything went fine.  I then did the initial install of mce version 8.10 and my kde now shows ubuntu version 8.10 and the GUI is completly different.  MCE is NOT installed yet but on the desktop ready to be installed, so should the appearence have changed after just doing part 1 of the mce install?   The task bar shows an update available for kubuntu 9.4 but will not let me download or run from sudo command.  Why is it showing me an upgrade for an older version?? My other question is are all of the updates that i ran after initial install still there?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 04:51:31 am by cperk4 »

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
Re: are kubuntu updates still present after mce installation?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 07:13:16 am »
When you say you did an initial install of mce version 8.10 - was this from the DVD (iso image burned to DVD)?

I think  you are possibly misunderstanding how it works. LinuxMCE at present only runs on Kubuntu 8.10 or 10.04 and comes "bundled" with that particular distribution. You can't install Kubuntu 12.4 and then MCE on top of that, I'm afraid.

If you're wanting to use Kubuntu 12.4 for other things (other than LinuxMCE) then my personal suggestion is to do it on a separate machine. Others have had quite a bit of success with virtual machines as well (create a VM on your 12.4 machine and install LinuxMCE onto that) which I guess is also an option if your machine is pretty resource-blessed.

But your LinuxMCE server is going to be a 24x7 dedicated machine which potentially controls all your automation, media, telecoms etc. It doesn't need massive processing power but it also doesn't want a bunch of other things messing about with the I/O and network which are the important parts of it.

I hope that helps for a bit of background. If you aren't wanting to go quite that far LinuxMCE may be overkill for your needs and you might be happier with something like agocontrol which may run on 12.4 (?)

Let us know what you're trying to achieve and I'm sure the smart guys can give some pointers.

To answer your question, though, from what you say I would imagine that you have replaced your 12.4 installation with an 8.10 installation so, yes, your updates are gone :-(

cperk4

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 01:21:28 am »
Yes i am wanting the use of MCE, and yes it was from an iso image.  I am aware of the fact that mce runs on kubuntu, but with several failed attempts to update i was just trying to figure out a way to get the kubuntu software updated.  I have installed kubuntu (i guess its 8.10, thats what it says when i run the sudo to verify the version) and tried installing updates and the programs that will allow all the media to be saved but i am unable to get them to download.  Yes internet is working. 

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 08:13:39 pm »
8.10 is unsupported. The standard repositories available to the install are no longer available for 8.10. They are now in old-releases. If I understand your issue, that is it... and to answer your original question, yes. You can update anything that is updatable (as per the release and repository availability). See the sticky in this category about intrepid repositories. http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php/topic,10901.0.html

Use 10.04. Much more better.
http://linuxmce.iptp.org/snapshots/
I never quit... I just ping out.