Author Topic: time required by installation  (Read 3600 times)

mehargags

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
time required by installation
« on: March 28, 2007, 04:18:31 pm »
Ok!! after seeing the google video of LinuxMCE vs. XP MCE, i was deeply inclined to try out linuxmce on my htpc. I have never used ubuntu before, i'm a slackware user but anyhow i downloaded the iso's required & then I sit for more than 6 hrs just to sit & see my system being installed ?????

I don't mean to offend the dev. community but man come on, wtf is there with the auto-update thing, why does the installer need to download so much of update wasting 3 hrs or so just for nothing.
If there is such an incredible updation amount, why not make weekly, or nightly builds?

6hrs have passes & im still watching it towards updating OpenOffice pkgs. this is like wtf?? what has open office updates have to do with MCE interface.

I don't think u can bypass the update process as it says if u don't update ubuntu urself, linuxmce setup will do it. Man, i'm in india & net connections are still max 30-40kbps download speeds. This implies that i need atleast a 2mbps line to install the updates & get this ting ready if i wanna save time.

I don't know well i w'd like the linuxmce, but its my  serious request to the dev. team to look into this issue. When ur comparing windows with linux, this will be a major hurdle & a setback for the implementors. this much of time involved in just getting the OS/UI installed, it pathetic. No one's got so much time.

also It'd be good to have include everything once on a weekly build basis(let me know if they already exist) & probably a DVD version including ubuntu & linuxmce together, updated to the week so that only the Download time is required.

Thx

mehargags

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: time required by installation
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 06:43:37 pm »
ok now -- nearly after 10hrs its installed completely. And now when i start the media Centre, it just stalls at a grey screen with my mouse pointer in it.

"Plug n Play" My foot. Linux will never be even 10% as windows in installation & configuration part. Wonder how many hours that guy in the video must have spent on starting up everything in right condition.

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: time required by installation
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 01:30:15 am »
I since added a 'what to expect' that includes the time required.  It's true that updating the ubuntu system and installing the cd is slow (1.5 hours for me).  But I just leave it come back later.  The actual setup wizard for me in which my tv, lights, voip provider, voip phones, ip cams, etc. is done takes about 10 minutes.

While the compatibility list is very small, LMCE is *WAY* more pnp than Windows.  If you want music in your kitchen, with LMCE plug in a squeeze box.  That's it.  It's discovered, configured, software installed, and ready to go.  With Windows, you have shut down MCE, hall out a keyboard/mouse, configure the firewall, install a music server, setup network shares, etc.

If you want an IP cam integrated, with LMCE, plug it in, and that's it.  For lighting control, ditto.  For a rs232 controlled tv (like Sharp, Pioneer, HP, etc.), again just plug it in.

Windows has a much greater compatibility list, but it is never pnp.  In every case you need to exit mce and hook up a keyboard/mouse.  LMCE supports only a few devices, but the ones it does support are totally pnp and you'll never need an install cd or a pc desktop.