Author Topic: Media events for z-wave  (Read 3913 times)

pocster

• View Profile
Media events for z-wave
« on: January 28, 2013, 05:23:06 pm »
Hi,

New to LinuxMCE so might be a noob question.
Can I interrogate an action via a streamer or media director and have it trigger a z-wave device?
For example:

User decides to stream so audio via a slingbox or media director device - when the audio ends I wish to trigger the z-wave socket to turn the amp off (amp connected the streamer obviously  ;D).
Is that possible?
Can I (presumably via a script) do more advanced things like:

User turns on tv
Streamer amp comes and plays get_out_my_house.wav
email and ams is then sent to my phone

Obviously it's the home automation aspect of MCE that I am looking at.
Any advice welcome!

Cheers

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Media events for z-wave
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 07:39:44 pm »
pocster,

LinuxMCE automates the turning on and off of a device. Unfortunately, it does do so only directly to the device, i.e. you can't atm say, please use this device device to turn on/off that device. Apart from that, in my house, LinuxMCE automatically dims the lights, turns my display device on, my amp on, whenever I select the TV scenario, or when I select a video to play. When I select music to play, it does not turn on the display device, but the amp only. Who needs a display for listening to music. When I end TV (or video or music), the lights turn back on, and after 15 minutes of slide show, it turns off the display device and the amp. I did not configure any of this, it is all done automagic, after telling LinuxMCE about my setup.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 03:53:20 pm »
You'll find, that many things that you would manually need to implement in other systems, are handled automatically in LinuxMCE (we have a lot of predefined event scenarios that are created when certain devices etc are present)

We deliberately do not do scripting for things like this, events are stateless, and pretty much anything can be done inside an event criteria (although some complex things will require some planning and forethought).

This is not MisterHouse, do not treat it as such, we do a lot more, a lot more elegantly. :)

-Thom

pocster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 09:54:53 pm »
Thanks guys.

This is what got me looking at MCE in the first place. I wasn't convinced it was 'home automation' though I knew from the various thread it was a multi-media centraliser. I guess I need to install and experiment a bit and perhaps as you say think about a solution to a problem a bit laterally - I still think some form of scripting engine would be handy as it opens up more possibilities.

Cheers

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 01:08:08 am »
No. Scripting will not be added for events, as it opens up a whole can of worms regarding state. I will not add it. If you add it, cool, you deal with it.

The events are done in such a way that with the correct criteria, things can be matched and executed, without needing to carry around a whole bag load of state, and thus have a better chance of the events working reliably, even when things change.

-Thom

pocster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 11:00:17 am »
No probs.