Author Topic: Why does LinuxMCE only work on crappy TV's?  (Read 6118 times)

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
Why does LinuxMCE only work on crappy TV's?
« on: March 27, 2007, 08:27:53 pm »
Cool video on Yootube, but after using 4 hours on installing LinuxMCE all I get is "Out of sync" and a black screen.

I have tried on different LCD HDTV's that have 1366x678 native resolution and all go black when booting in to LinuxMCE.
I have a crappy one that is 1024x768 native and it boots fine there...

How do I set correct resolution with a black screen?!?
Does LinuxMCE have a "safemode"?

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Why does LinuxMCE only work on crappy TV's?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 08:53:23 pm »
Have you tried to access the LinuxMCE admin site? There you can go to 'Media Directors', and in 'Video Settings' there should be line like "1280 720/60"  -- this is for 1280x720 @ 60Hz. Try to set your native resolution - then save and reboot box with it.

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 11:10:03 pm »
By LinuxMCE admin site, do you mean Pluto?!?
I am able to get a website from LinuxMCE where I added a user and try banging my head in the wall....

There is no LinuxMCE admin site, and no Media Directors to find there, but lots of security stuff...
The page is called Pluto.

There is a Files & Media menu there that does not have anything to do with media... Well there is no media there and it is not possible to add some either...

There really is a lot of work left to get LinuxMCE to be able to replace a Windows based HTPC. I can only speak for what I have, but nothing works, No TV, No Sattelite, No Cable, No videos, No Music, No Pictures, No Sound, No Remote, No picture (Black screen) unless I use a monitor or a non HDTV LCD TV. I cant get anything of what I have working with LinuxMCE.

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 12:38:53 am »
Launch LMCE with your crappy monitor attached.  From a different PC on your network open a browser and type the following:

http://192.168.x.xx ->Ip of your LMCE machine

This should bring up the LMCE admin page.  You will see the LinuxMCE logo with the penguin sitting on the couch in the upper left hand corner. From there you can select "Media Directors" in the left hand pane.  It should open up a page on the right hand side that will allow you to change the resolution.  Look in the right hand corner.  When you apply the changes you should see the effects immediately on your monitor.

Once you have that working, try connecting your HDTV and repeat the process.

I'm typing this from memory, so hopefully I haven't messed anything up.

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 08:07:45 am »
Yes, you did mean Pluto... What you call LinuxMCE admin site is called Pluto in the browser.
And I tried setting the resolution to 1366 768/66 and this time I did get a picture. But not the one I wanted.
It now sends 720p @ 60hz wich could have been ok, but since it really is not...

This is way better than a black out of sync, but it shure looks crappy... a big part of the graphics is overscanned
so I can not see the whole GUI.

Does LinuxMCE support 1366x768@66hz? I have 3 LCD panels with that resolution.

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 08:58:46 am »
1024x768@60hz works fine. And now I can see the buttons on the bottom...
It works for all my panels.

Now to get some media in... No fun to look at all the other functions when the one button I really want to use does not do anything at all. It did find my Thecus, and have been working on the disk all night. Still nothing shows on the media button?!?

It has asked for several rebuilds... Dont know what they are, but I have said yes on all of them.

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 10:08:05 pm »
Edit.. 1024x768@60hz does not work... I now see the buttons on the bottom, but a good chunk of the screen on the right is missing, so I the buttons from the left and up to telecom, the rest is off the screen.

Trying to play a DVD, the DVD starts, but the FBI warning is shifted to the right, and after a few secs of that it gives up and goes back to the menu.

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 01:38:33 am »
>> after a few secs of that it gives up and goes back to the menu

is it a css encrypted disc?  do you see anything of interest in /var/log/pluto/*Xine_Player*?